Vivette Firefly repairs

share hints, tips and experiences
Rupert

Re: Vivette Firefly repairs

Post by Rupert »

I'm really impressed with the speed with which you have got the job done! Did you go to work this winter?!
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Yes I did go to work this winter but I perservered with the sanding etc to keep warm!! Now I am almost there I was wondering how the mainsail is pulled tight along the boom. There doesn't seem to be an outhaul in the conventional sense but there is a block on the outside of the boom and a jamming cleat about 18" short of the boom which conceivably could be rigged as an outhaul but it would mean a rope running all the way along the outside of the boom. There are also two other jamming cleats on the boom either side at the same distance from the mast - possibly for Cunningham adjustment?? They certainly jam with the tension coming from the mast direction. I would take photos but the boat is outside at the moment in a blizzard and it feels like -10C tonight with the wind (and we are supposed to sail in 11 days!!) Just not sure of set up. Any help appreciated before I cut rope!!!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not sure about the extra cleats, but the outhaul quite ofthen ran on the outside of the boom, and it will have far less friction than an in-boom system. I ran a rope from the end of the boom, round a block attached to the back of the sail, round a block back at the end of the boom, and then a short way along the boom, where I tied another block on. I then ran a cascade rope from an eye near the jamming cleat, round the block on the end of the 1st rope and back to the cleat. Works a treat, certainly better than the in-boom systems I've inherited on more modern boats.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah.....well.....I just tie mine off to a little bolt through the sail-groove at end of boom.

I do occasionally wish I could adjust it, but to be honest I rarely do.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Boom Outhaul: I'm not sure about Rupert's 4x purchase via a pulley cascade.it's surely a bit of a sledgehammerto crack a nut and exceeds the leverage on even a small cruising yacht. Mind you they can lead theirs back to the winch!

If the inside of the boom has too much friction perhaps the pulleys were corroded or the cordage to thick. The real advantage of an external system is that it is easier to fix when it goes wrong. A bit like a car without electric windows or a proper old fashioned carburetor. If you have an internal system it can be very embarrassing if your figure of 8 unravels!

To tighten it if you have a single purchase just grab it half way down the boom and yank it downwards, then take up the slack through the jammer. The best position of the jammer is determined by personal preference.

Personally I'm probably going to throw caution to the winds and try an internal system for the aesthetic pleasure of minimalist concealment. The aquatic concept of Bang Olufsen so to speak. For singlehanded sailing I would think it may be easier if the control line comes back to the thwart but before you do I would again go for the old system first and plan your layout once you've got to know the boat a bit better. Things like where you like to sit will determine the cleat positions and you cannot know this until after your wedding night unless.... well let's not go there!

Those control cleats on the front of the boom must surely be for the Cunningham. It will work OK but sounds a bit clumsy and probaby needs a crew to adjust it. My experience of Cunninghams is that like kicking straps you need them to adjust usually when your hanging over the side so the control line needs to come back to the thwart. Personal preference again is the key.

Don't forget when adjusting sails that they don't need to go out beyond the black bands. Put too much purcase on your outhaul and you may risk a visit from the Race Officer!

Finally, do you have "TALLY" on one side of the boom and/or "SIGN OFF" on the other. This is neither a veiled epithet nor an abbreviated country expression but a reminder of the day you lost your first points in the series by forgetting to sign out onto the water or sign off your declaration before hitting the bar. Sad but true, I would leave the warnings where they stand but maybe write them a little smaller.

Happy hunting
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Vivette with bells and whistles fitted. Thanks to all who gave encouragement, advice and their time to inform me of the way to do things. Pictures below for your perusal. I should add that Trish is delighted (that it's finished) but I haven't told her that Gannet needs a few bits and pieces and Secret Water needs a deck varnished ...........
Attachments
IMG_0257.JPG
(121.74 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
IMG_0262.JPG
(116.41 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
IMG_0259.JPG
(122.5 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Wow.....very nice.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Very nice indeed! Now you need to spend some time sailing her and learning what makes a Firefly tick! Any help on that, I'll do my best, though mainly it is just down to practice!
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Very nice work.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Pat

Post by Pat »

Certainly a lot different from when we last saw her!! Well done and I'm looking forward to seeing her on the water.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Very nice Garry.
Collected mast etc from Plymouth today, no noise from the roofrack, but there again I did let Karen travel inside the car.
:D
Mark
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I find that having the lady of the household inside the car is the best way to avoid arguments and really the weather isn't too good for outside travel. The mast does go on the roofrack quite well. I used the soft foam with wire inside as ties which I find very kind on wooden masts etc and give a good grip and aren't too expensive. Better than ropes and straps too.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

At last!!!!!!!!!

Vivette, Trish and I sailing at Forfar today. Great fun (and not last!!)
Attachments
IMG_0296.JPG
(95.35 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
IMG_0295.JPG
(107.24 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Brilliant Garry
Sails will be on there way soon
Mark
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Vivette has now been reunited with a new certificate from the RYA. Fortunately Ken Kershaw a previous owner and something big in the RYA remembered her and vouched to the Certification Department for me that she had been correctly certificated during his ownership and therefore was OK. I needed to provide proof of ownership - a statement from the guy I bought it from as well. From now on the certification should be no problem as it is now registered on the computer database. It goes to show that any snippet of history/past owners and a proof of purchase can be important.