Gently - Mast - Chris

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hawkins

Gently - Mast - Chris

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Chris,

I was routing around trying to find a reference to the mast that I have fitted to 950. It looks very like the mast you had when you got hold of Gently. I am refering to a post from last year.

I am just curious if you still have it, and does it still have the top diamond fitted.

Cheers

Steve h
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
chris

Re: Gently - Mast - Chris

Post by chris »

Gently's old ali mast doesn't have the top forward pointing jumpers just one main diamond that stops at the hounds. It does still have the drum kicker though. However I know that Tim's 1066 does and I'm sure he would be very happy to tell you all about it. I'll pm his email for you. There is a vintage merlin event at Banbury 2nd Oct which is his home club it would be great if you could make that.
Thinking of those jumper diamonds.. I know of at least one person who believes in them so much he is fitting them to an existing wooden mast and last time I was at the Thames club I noticed at least one of the A-Rathers has them supporting the top of their carbon mast (45' up). They keep the top section stiff fore-aft and sidesways. Useful for the taller rig, which I expect yours is.
Graham T

Re: Gently - Mast - Chris

Post by Graham T »

I have top diamonds on Osprey 55's mast which I believe to be 1960ish.... I am getting more convinced as I poke around the mast step that she had a wooden mast from new in 57 but the alloy mast does seem to be as old as the sails which are dated 1961.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club