Buoyancy in boats designed to have none

share hints, tips and experiences
MerlinMags

Buoyancy in boats designed to have none

Post by MerlinMags »

Has anyone had experience of adding buoyancy (bags or otherwise) to ancient hulls that were not designed with such things in mind? The particular issue I'm worried about is making a pretty boat look ugly. Can bags be disguised? What about several small auto-inflating devices?

I know some people do without buoyancy, but in my case it is required. So how can I avoid a nice open 12ft clinker boat looking horrid?
Ancient Geek

Re: Buoyancy in boats designed to have none

Post by Ancient Geek »

I assume it is Swallow?
Well she's wood so she will float but without much if any freeboard her internal ballast will take care of that.
Some years back now after a few sinkings and before we got bulkheads the Dragon Class fitted on a voluntary basis self inflating bags rather like grown up versions of the automatic lifejackets. They packed flat and no doubt could be sausaged with"rotten cotten". I do not think anyone ever used them in anger though a bit like toothache disapearing at the door of the dentists surgery!
I am sure Crewsaver or Beaufort who also make liferafts after-all can do something for this icon of all our young days.
Simples.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bags can be covered up - my Raudaschl Finn has the bags behind canvas skirts

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Swallow is supposed to sink - how else are you going to re-enact the start of Swallowdale?
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Hang on Mags the new Government are firing all the elf n safety people nor before time!
"Better drowned than duffers......................................"
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

In a thread on "New firefly shaped bags" I have a link to an effective method of fitting suitably coulored covers that act as an effective means of holding bags in the boat, the link to a Photobucket slideshow is here:

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... =slideshow

If you have seats these wouls be siutable anchor poins and bouyancy can be fitted under the seats.

At 12 feet, stern bags and a bow bag fitted in this way under suitable rough cream coulored canvas covers may not look out of place. The canvas covers can be further disguised by adding storage pockets to them for warps, picnic/sandwich boxes etc.
Michael Brigg