the best dinghy from plans

share hints, tips and experiences
adam

the best dinghy from plans

Post by adam »

hi
If I wanted to build a dinghy from plans what would be a good one to start with? I have basic woodworking knowledge.

Adam
Nessa

Re: the best dinghy from plans

Post by Nessa »

the all time favourite would surely be the mirror - plenty of examples around to look at to see what it should look like too. I ought also to suggest the marauder, since I have a half built one in my boat shed. Also think about wh will sail it, with whom and where when you make your choice - nothing worse then building aboat only to find it doesn't suit your needs.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Oddly, you can't build the Mirror from Plans - they have to sell you a kit.

If you go to Selway Fisher's website, you'll find lots of simple home build designs. You could even start with a canoe, to get the feel for it?
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

You can still build a Heron from Plans or a kit.

A Mirror's predecessor if you like. Plans from the Heron Association.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
with the Heron you also have the option of the traditional or stitch and glue versions. You can buy a kit but they are about £1200. Come and join us in the UKHBBR for home boatbuilding advice
Steve :D
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
link here http://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/ plus there is a yahoo group as well
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Try a Signet easyest dinghy to build having a flat bottom and simple construction.
Cheers Al
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

always promised I'd build myself a Have 12 1/2 one day - http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Haven-1 ... 0937822132

It's worth checking out WaterCraft - http://watercraft-magazine.com/ as there's lot's of plans in there.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

Some books have plans and instructions for a variety of boats and techniques.

The Strippers Guide to canoe-building (Strip planking that is. contains plans) by David Hazen

How to build the Catspaw Dinghy, a boat for oar or sail. By the Edoitors of Wooden Boat Magazine. Has small plans and offsets so you can draw them out full size.

Building Classic Small Craft. Coimplete p[lans and instructions for 47 boats, John Gardner.

Build the New instant Boats by Harold "Dynamite" Payson. The cover says 'Take plywood, cut to shape, smear on glue, drive in nails, stir paint and presto you have an instant boat.' Which just about sums it up! They are simple boats - or do I mean crude?

Ultralight Boatbuilding by Thomas j. Hill. some elegant designs with good descriptions.

I think all these are American books but I bought them off the shelf in the UK.

Wooden boat mgazine has had series on building a small boat if you can get back copies.

Thumbing through books might help you decide even if you don't end up using them.

Ian Oughtred sells designs and has a good selection of his designs too. I'm sure you could find him on the web.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I still have Jim C's 11+ plans here from ebay - I'm sure he wouldn't mind if they were diverted!
Rupert
adam

Post by adam »

Lots of options there, I like the look of Ian Oughtred's designs, three berth cruiser to start with then!

Adam
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:I still have Jim C's 11+ plans here from ebay - I'm sure he wouldn't mind if they were diverted!
I was thinking that... The Plus is a sweet little boat if an 11 footer does the job for you. If it needs to be a bit bigger something like a Garduate or a GP14?