Thorough cleaning of covers

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Thorough cleaning of covers

Post by Garry R »

After the rat thread I wonder if anyone has had their boat cover cleaned professionally or done it in a large launderette washing machine? I think it is a bit big for the home laundry department. If they did, did they reproof and if so with what? The cover is a breathable from Rain and Sun but is a bit grubby after the winter storage. (It also seems to be rat proof!!) I have put this question here as it is a serious one on maintenance and was worried it may disappear in the banter section.
JimC

Re: Thorough cleaning of covers

Post by JimC »

Are you sure this is a wise thing to do? I don't think I'd do any more than give a cover a hose down with the same sort of water pressure as you get from rain anywayf for fear of upsetting the waterproofing.
thomn59

Post by thomn59 »

Just a quick note on the rat issue - unfortunately there is really no such thing as rat proof - you are just lucky.

If anyone needs any help or guidance on rat or mouse control please feel free to ask - it is what I do for a living and all advice is gratis

cheers
Thom
roger

Post by roger »

My mum always used to put her horse blankets (canvass not unlike boat covers) in the washing machine without a problem. I have used tent proofer on my covers with success.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

I'm very wary of the effect of pressure washing after my ex, showing off his new pressure washer, washed the vinyl roof of his mother's Morris Marina and it forever after leaked like a sieve :(
Covers get laid out in the yard, quickly hosed down to remove the worst dirt and cleaned with a solution of mould-removing disinfectant detergent and a broom and then hosed down again. Undercovers (nylon) get dunked in a large bucket or the bath as do wetsuits etc.
Fabsil, as used on tents, is ideal for canvas - erect the tent or fit the boat cover and apply with a garden sprayer as any other way uses too much and is too time consuming.
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I have read that Thompsons water seal for brickwork is great for re-proofing covers and spinnakers at half the cost of Fabsil.... I have not tried it though!
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I had a word with the guy at Rain and Sun and he recommended Grangers Tent clean and then Fabsil gold. The only thing that worried me was that it is silicon based and if you spray it when the cover is on the boat is there a problem revarnishing at a later date?
Pat

Post by Pat »

if you spray it when the cover is on the boat is there a problem revarnishing at a later date?
Maybe, but spray it when on a plastic boat and you'll glide through the water faster. :D

Garry you're ingenious enough to make up a jig for the job!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

SImple idea suggested by a friend is to buy those cheap plastic decorators sheeting, put it over the boat before putting on the cover and then do the proofing so the silicon doesn't get everywhere. Like the spraying idea too - thanks Pat.