Ply

share hints, tips and experiences
Silverfox

Ply

Post by Silverfox »

Hi all,

I need some help. Im in the middle of restoring a Mk2 GP14 and the side section of deck needs replacing, which i have done but while i have made a good job of refitting it, the new piece of ply stands out like a sore thumb!

Has anyone got any ideas how to make it match the surrounding ply?

Cheers
John
Gull mark1. 1066 & 1186
Rupert

Re: Ply

Post by Rupert »

I've never found one, I'm afraid, unless such things as staining with tea work. Maybe try an offcut and see.
Rupert
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Thing is if you get it to a close match now by the time it has had a seasons sunshine it stands out again as it fades / doesn't fade at the same rate.....
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
kfz

Post by kfz »

Hi Sf,

Wood Series 2 or GRP mk2?

If shes an oldie you will have to stain. Im sure modern Plys are much lighter in color to start with, never mind after the original ply is then 50 years old?

Have to go for a light stain but need something compatible with your top coat. To be honest I expect old boats ot have a few wounds so In my eyes its not a problem... Depends what your doing really.

Best

Kev

Silverfox wrote:Hi all,

I need some help. Im in the middle of restoring a Mk2 GP14 and the side section of deck needs replacing, which i have done but while i have made a good job of refitting it, the new piece of ply stands out like a sore thumb!

Has anyone got any ideas how to make it match the surrounding ply?

Cheers
John
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Staining is an immense art.

I have seen people who have used stains to match in new ply into old, with great success.....but never to be honest have I really managed to do it myself.

the problems as mentioned above is that however good you get it now.....it fades at a different rate, so can still look wrong in a years time. The other issue is that any later attempts to patch damage are almost impossible.

So....what do you do?

First, how big is the patch? smallish? if so, first thing consider finding some other ply which is a closer colour to start off with.

For instance Robbins Elite, is gaboon faced and very light in colour and tends towards 'pink' but goes yellow in a year or three - looking quite close to an original Fairey colour.

Robbins Elite Plus is a kyaya faced ply and is much darker and redder.

There other one (Elite Super Plus???) is sapele faced and different again.

So if you can find a wood that matches closely to start off, you are in a much better position.

If you must use what you have, then experiment with some spirit-based dyes (although I am assured tea works also). Go easily and slowly and remember that the colour and type of the varnish will make a big difference too.

I wrote a bit on staining ages ago which you can read if you wish at: http://www.cvrda.org/boats/hintstips/va ... aining.htm

tell us how it goes.

Show us a photo and maybe we can give you some more help

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Many thanks for all your advise. In the end I decided to add a little dark stain to the first soak coat of varnish and White spirit. It's not a complete match but at least it look better than the rotten piece I removed. I'm sure after a few seasons it won't notice.

I'm hoping to have her finished within the next couple of weeks and then I will take her out for one sail then it up for sale. Decided to stick with my mk1 gull.

John
Gull mark1. 1066 & 1186