ageing brass

share hints, tips and experiences
Mungo

ageing brass

Post by Mungo »

Does anyone have a secret to making new brass screws look a little less garish? I am replacing some here and there and would like them to acquire instant patina. I have tried a number of things, dish detergent, vinegar with not much success (I have used lacquer thinner to wash the screws first). I gather liver of sulphur (what a bizarre name) but no idea where to find it and requests at various stores bring odd looks. Anyone have a secret? I have access to any chemicals so anything is possible. Do screws still acquire a patina under varnish (somehow I would hope not but...)?

Does anyone know if the original screws in a jollyboat would be bronze rather than brass? They seem to be a decided different metal than modern brass. I would use bronze but need small screws and cannot find #4 screws in bronze.

anything appreciated

Mungo
Bill-Conner

Re: ageing brass

Post by Bill-Conner »

Anything Faireys did would almost certainly be brass, though maybe they uesed bronze by accident.
The furniture fakers (Name witheld) of Broadway in the Cotswolds used to leave brass screws in the gents urinals for a couple of weeks ad take a file to the point too because old screws were blunter.
chris

Post by chris »

Liberon have stopped their Antiquing Fluid, which is what you want. I've just looked on the bottle I have and its list of dangers is alarming. But it is very good and quick to use. A few seconds gives a good patina which you can mellow with steel wool if required. The pot doesn't say what's in it though.

I can't find anywhere that still has some, but some Googling 'Antiquing Fluid' might do it However I found this site which might be OK
http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/shopping/pgm ... .php?id=50.

Household ammonia does something but not nearly as good as the fluid. The ammonia vapour is great for darkening oak too by the way. make a sealed box or plastic bag with a dish of ammonia and your oak inside and leave it. Its called fumed oak - very good even colour.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I think the main ingredient is Phosphoric acid, also used as a rust treatment.

There are various "antiquing" fluids used in the Clock making/restoration world, where patination can be important.
Michael Brigg
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

Recipes to get the desired effect:-

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/p ... rmulas.htm

(Don't get caught doing this in the kitchen!!!)
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Thank you all

I have managed to produce instant antique screws (not sure there is a market for this). I burned the lacquer off with a torch (this turns out to be the key step), put them in a solution of plant food (the green stuff 2 teaspoons/cup of water, with a small amount of vinegar couple teaspoons). Left them for an hour and they changed colour to being more coppery. I then dried them with a torch (no rinsing) they went darker and crusty, washed them extensively in water and they look good. I am sure there are better and more predictable ways but it was quick and easy. Pic has virgin screws, a pre-1900 penny for colour comparison (that being the colour I wanted), and the treated screws. The patina does not come off, and is reasonably scratch resistant.
screws.jpg
(49.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet