Advice required - Slot Gasket fitting

share hints, tips and experiences
webmuppet

Advice required - Slot Gasket fitting

Post by webmuppet »

Hi Folks,

I've purchased some sail cloth slot gasket to replace the rather aged rubber gasket that's currently fitted to our Supergrad:

http://www.cygnus-sails.com/item-Slot_G ... _45mm.html

I was told that it would be an improvement over the rubber and I understand the basics of how to fit it (i.e trap it under the two strip of keel band that attach the current item), however, there seems to be some debate regarding how to align it.

Current suggestions are to fit the two strips:

a) With an 1/8" overlap along the length of the strips

b) With an 1/8" overlap at the front and butted together at the rear of the slot

c) butted together at the front of the slot and a slight gap at the back

Any guidance would be appreciated,

regards,

Nigel
G2530 'Galaxy'
billytwiglet

Re: Advice required - Slot Gasket fitting

Post by billytwiglet »

mike mc namara of sailmaking and wayfarer fame wrote an excellent guide to slot gasket fitting which works perfectly. used to be on the wayfarer website but I can't find it now. You could email mike via his website; he's a very nice and helpful chap, makes amazingly good sails too.
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
If you search through the archives on this site you should find the information that you need.
Cheers Al
webmuppet

Post by webmuppet »

Hi Folks,

I've located Mike McNamara's article - it's very good and confirms what I initially thought about the method of fixing:

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/W ... skets1.PDF

He seems to favour the same 5mm overlap over the whole length of the gasket but I guess I need to find some method of fixing the front edge of the gasket as Mike suggests using the central keel-band (mine only has two pieces of keel-band and they are used solely for securing the sides of the slot gasket)

Many thanks for the advice,

Nigel

G2530 'Galaxy'