To make good or to refurbish

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hawkins

To make good or to refurbish

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

950 is in the garage.

I have had to chop out 9 inches of gunnal, remove the coaming and remove the G4/varnish off the fordeck near the starboard shroud where its all gone a bit soft/wet. I am going to leave it for a few weeks to see if I can get it all to dry out before I figure out what I am going to do.

In the mean time I am going to look at repairing a leaking, existing patch and properly repair the car body filler patch in the hull. Plus I have a dark spot in the bows. And it needs revarnishing on the outside.......I have already started to strip it.

I also have a split in my centreboard case and want to strip and revarish my thwart

I also have a dodgy area on the port side deck towards the rear, where water has got in in the past. That although is no real issue, does not really look very nice....

Did I mention the floor inside the boat could do with tidying up - old peeling varnish, etc.

Am I talking myself into a full rebuild and a redeck?

:shock:

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
billytwiglet

Re: To make good or to refurbish

Post by billytwiglet »

Yep, you sure are!
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
Rupert

Re: To make good or to refurbish

Post by Rupert »

Depends on what you want from the boat. If you want to keep as much of the original as possible, then just doing the neccessary work in as non intrusive way as possible is the way to go. If you want bright and shiny, then new decks will give you that. Each approach is a valid as the other.
Rupert