Tool review Thread

share hints, tips and experiences
kfz

Tool review Thread

Post by kfz »

Not sure if we have a tool review/recomendations thread...

Like everyone else recently bought a multi tool, Its Macallister MMT220 which is the B&Q equilelnt of the Bosch PMF180 that nearly every boat forum is full of. I must say Im quite impressed, which isnt easily done, I have a general dislike of multitools fining them partucularly rubbish at a lot of things, but this seems to do the business. Im not sure the strenght of this tool is generally a multi tool its its ability to plunge cut to a controlable depth with a very fine blade. Sorta like a controable jigsaw but with the control and fineness of a hand dovetail saw.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/ ... l-11867960

Come with two cutters, a circualer one for general cutting hasa depth of about 1/2" and the straight plade plunge cutter about 1". I used it to surgivally remove section of floorboards from inside a built in wardrobe and it flew through 3/4" boards no problem. I dont think Id use anything else to cut floorboards out now. I can see why everyone is raving about them for boat use. Be a doddle to cut out nice neat plywood holes for tingles.

I tried the sander attachment on the boat, and it got through epoxy without too much problem, at least as good as my HD 250W detail sander, which was quite impressive as this is quite a bit smaller (but higher reving). The sander attachment is very neat and able to get under the washboards where the detail was too big.

Not ever used the Bosch one so nothing to compare it against, but must repeat that Im very impressed. Should have bought one earlier when I was still doing major woodwork.

Currently in the sale and a bargain at £34 quid (less than half the bosch, which it it has an adaptor to fit the blades). Especially if you take an OAP with you and get another fiver off.

Kev
BRS

Re: Tool review Thread

Post by BRS »

Have you tried the scraper attachment? I could really do with a proper high speed scraper tool!
kfz

Post by kfz »

BRS, I havent yet but will let you know when I do.

Out of interest. What materials do you need one for?

Kev
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

hmm, I need something to replace my venerable Bosch jigsaw, or at least take on some of it's jobs. What's it like cutting thin[ish] ply on a curve?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

My question is "how well would it cope with scraping the inside of a clinker."

The picture quota seems to be full, so here is a link to give you an idea of the problem...

dodgy link removed... Rupert

Feel free to browse the albums, any advise other than incendiary, (I lready get plenty of that! :roll: ) on other solutions welcome!
Michael Brigg
BRS

Post by BRS »

Hi Kev

Similar to the above, taking varnish off the inside of a 1965 N12, I've been going great guns with hand scrapers but I have a natural lazy streak so if there is an easier way that works........

I hate heat guns, stripper and the scraper if far faster than sanding, I think the electric tool thing might work in restricted areas where its hard to get in with a hand scraper.
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

watch out that photobucket link contains malwear! can someone please remove it?
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

yep; just removed 'doubleclick' which may not damage your system but is perfectly capable of gathering your personal info and sending it to someone you don't know!!!
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
kfz

Post by kfz »

Obscured by clouds wrote:hmm, I need something to replace my venerable Bosch jigsaw, or at least take on some of it's jobs. What's it like cutting thin[ish] ply on a curve?

Not sure its a 100% replacement for a jigsaw. Not worried by the depth of cut (went through 3/4" pine boards like anything) its just the long lenght and holding the tool straightl for that lenght of cut.

You can use it to cut lenghts of ply, but I think the jigsaw is probably the better tool for that job. Its limited on how tight a curve you can cut in a single pass by the width of the blade (about 1"), plus I dont think Id wear the blades out on long cuts, if you have a reletivly cheap jigsaw and blades. No reason why you couldnt but have a jigswa also I probably reach for that first, as long as i had a fine tooth blade for it.

Bit different really. Pros and cons - Multitool vs jigsaw (and ignoring the sanding/scraping)

Pros
It can plunge cut without drilling a pilot hole.
Its blade is much finer
its more precise
It can cut to a desired depth of cut
Blade angle adjustable for working in confined areas.

Cons.
More expensive
slower
Less suited/harder/less comfortable to long lenght of cuts

HTH

Kev
kfz

Post by kfz »

And another ones gone and another ones gone.
Another one Bites the Dust (litrally).

Heard the song so many times but never understood what Roger Taylor was going on about. Now I now. Enlightening this boat resotration work isnt it!

Caltha -2 , Sanders - Nil

Kev
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Her Indoors is frantically searching for a thing called a Yankee screwdriver after seeing one on An Island Parish (sad, but true). Any comment on this tool? Where can she get one? Will I want to borrow it? Will she let me?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

You only catch your finger in one of those once to be put off for life..... A modern cordless driver is much easier and safer as it does not tend to slip off the screw with full force, impale itself in the nice bit of wood and nip your finger in one smooth move!

If they are still for sale then the bay would be where I would start looking if I wanted one but having used them in my youth I wouldn't.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
moggy

Post by moggy »

Kev!!!

EINHELL!!!! PLEASE!!!!

we haul there stuff back to them in work! you should see our warehouse. if its 'red labled/red coloured' its good, if its blue..... it will break!!!!

get yaself a decent bosch one! mine has done 7 3 times, 555 twice, and 23 once aswell as other boats and household jobs

Gaz
GP14 - 7
GP14 -ex 23
GP14 - 13796

Enterprise - 20059
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I would of thought that Yankees were still pretty available...

I have got both a small one and a big one, but on the whole agree that they don't do the job as well as a modern electric drill/screwdriver. I mainly just use them as ratchet screwdrivers.

I once took back a bust Black and Decker tool (drill I think?) back and complained....was told that the design life of B&D tools was under 40hrs of use!

Reckon all the cheap stuff breaks pretty quick.

I do like Bosch....but you want to try and buy the 'blue' Bosch not the 'green' stuff. Blue Bosch is their pro stuff and does seem to last much longer. Green Bosch ain't bad though so depends what you expect I guess.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
kfz

Post by kfz »

Mog,

Never had one before and figured I would get one boat out of it, WRONG!

Dont mind buying cheap tools for a specific job, didnt even make it that far.

I do quite like it so will go for a Bosch then.

BTW I measured those boards for you, Check your mail.

Kev