Soda blasting

share hints, tips and experiences
billytwiglet

Soda blasting

Post by billytwiglet »

Hi

has anyone had any experience of soda blasting on wooden boats?
I've seen excellent results on grp and metal and cleaning up structural timber in buildings.
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
JimC

Re: Soda blasting

Post by JimC »

Yes. Catastropic. If the boat contains softwood in the area under consideration don't even consider it.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

If anyone mentions Walnuts I'll scream.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Walnuts ruin a nice Christmas chocolate...

Quite agree with Jim about the effects of soda blasting - may as well leave it out in a saharan sand storm.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

John,

I can only echo Neil's comments!

If you do a search on here you'll find that walnut blasting is 'supposed' to be kinder to the wood than soda.

I wanted to go down this route with the hull of the Smokers and invested a huge amount of time, effort and not a little money in chasing the details down. In the end, I ended up with a real expert on the subject, who took one look at the merlin hull and said simply "don't do it.... " to the point that he would not even take the job even if I'd asked him to.

Admittedly - that was with walnut shells but as I've already said, it blasting terms these are the equivalents of kisses from your sister!

So - the bottom line is a don't do it, but if you do, please take lots of pics so we can see the before and after

Dougal
David H