Enhancing the Grain in wood

share hints, tips and experiences
kfz

Enhancing the Grain in wood

Post by kfz »

Any tips for bring out the grain in wood? Never really woried about it in the past. But with Caltha's new Koyha Transom which looks neat Id like to make it look the very best I can.

It was sawmill fresh so after the belt sander, then orbital (before it blew!) Now hand sended (no block) with 150 grit sandpaper.

Kev
billytwiglet

Re: Enhancing the Grain in wood

Post by billytwiglet »

I use a fine orbit (3mm) random orbital sander and down to 240/320 grit. You can finish with a hard sanding block, velcro, and fine paper along the grain. If you can get the mirka abranet sanding sheets, they are very good. Dampening the surface will bring the grain back up so you can see any cross scatches or sanding marks, then a final light sand to finish off. Coat with good quality clear marine varnish; 1st coat thinned to manufacturer's spec (maybe 50%) then 25%, 10% and 5% for the final coats or even neat. I use epifanes classic. When each coat is dry, (no varnish picks up on the paper) cut back until flat with very fine paper (400 or finer) wet and dry between coats; again see what the varnish maker advises. The result should be like glass. Mine isn't; I like the trad hand varnished look.
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
chris

Post by chris »

I agree with John, all I would add is that trad varnish will enhance the colour,depth and grain much more that an epoxy finish, which always looks a little deathly to me.
kfz

Post by kfz »

chris wrote:I agree with John, all I would add is that trad varnish will enhance the colour,depth and grain much more that an epoxy finish, which always looks a little deathly to me.

Guys, never know if you use a block or not when sanding by hand. A soft and uneven palm bring out the grain better?

No danger of epoxy dont worry. Top coat will be schooner. Though I am thinking of using the Internation clear sealer again......

Kev
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

I always use a sanding block. Accurate, flat and even sanding along the grain with no scratching across the grain is all there is to it. It isn't a sculpting exercise. Hard block for flat surfaces, soft block for corners and curves. Velcro blocks with velcro sanding sheets are best. Abranet; take the sheet off when it's clogged, shake out the dust and start again; lasts several times longer than conventional, therefore cheaper!
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95