Int Moth K3222 Project

share hints, tips and experiences
bornagainmothie

Re: Int Moth K3222 Project

Post by bornagainmothie »

Well spotted Dougal, a bit of sunshine brings the paint alive!

So, with all that paint still hardening off, I was left with only a few days before the Nationals at Clywedog to assemble the rig frame, screw fittings on and make a set of trampolines from scratch. Cue some late nights at the sewing machine.

Really, there was too much to do and I ended up not having sorted some small items which caused me problems all weekend. Obviously I didn't have chance to launch it at my home club and check for leaks. Silly things like new hatch covers not sealing correctly, Stem fitting moving slightly under load and creating a gap to let water into front tank. Control line cleats not fitted so had to tie things off and no adjustment.
Oh, and the tiny matter of all that paint on the matching metalflaked daggerboard, it made the board too thick to fit in the case! Thanks to Ian for carrying his full workshop facilities which included some wet and dry sandpaper, I was able to break through a few of those coats of lacquer and make the board fit, much to Rupert's amusement. The incident nearly won the wing nut award for that small oversight, but thankfully Tim's acrobatics out of the back of his Merlin was even more deserving.
Actually, the rudder blade caused a similar problem in the stock but I lived with it until back in the workshop.

Anyway, a wobbly start and mostly not finished, Dollywaggon Pike was afloat again after 30 years rest...
bornagainmothie

Dollywaggon re-launched at Clywedog
Attachments
photo - Wendy Marshall
photo - Wendy Marshall
davidh

Post by davidh »

be careful what you wish for...............

I didn't say that I had dumped ALL of the pictures!
(I could be tempted!)
D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Amusement, yes, but admiration too for such a wonderful boat, and a measure of relief that it wasn't me having to do something like that for once.

Looking forward to seeing her out and sailing somewhere else soon, as she is stunning.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

I had intended to paint "Sprint" metallic (white though), seeing your boat has persuaded me to go for it.
Looks great.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
bornagainmothie

(I could be tempted!)
I've had the flying Magnum as my desktop ever since that day of Extreme Mothing. It still amazes me that I look to be in control, it never feels like that! So you must have some that more accurately reflect whats really going on :shock: Maybe start another post as not Sprite related :wink: ( I think I'm safe with the Sprite because you had already left Baltic Wharf when I ploughed it in at the gybe mark in the last race :lol: )

Thanks Rupert, Its very satisfying to know. There is a strong tradition in the Moth fleet of not quite finishing the boat in time and still be fixing things on the way out to the start. Quite a few fell apart again soon afterwards, all part of the fun!
bornagainmothie

I had intended to paint "Sprint" metallic
It will look great, though you have to consider what might happen to a finish like that when in use. Can you repair it when it gets scuffed and damaged? How likely is it to get damaged?

My paint spraying expert continues to use solvent based paint whenever possible (Its allowed for "restoration work") rather than new water based paint because the gloss is deeper and stays that way far longer.
Also be very careful about heated spray booths, especially with a GRP boat.
bornagainmothie

Back to the plot and here's a couple more photos of Dolly, showing the wing bars and mast support frame.

I have used Ronstan swivel cleats attached to the rig frame for kicker and downhaul controls. I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the deck that might have been in wrong positions. The mainsheet system is odd for a Moth but suits my pond sailing at home because I can keep my weight forward when tacking. I was also worried about the rather flimsy boom taking the strain of centre mainsheet in heavy winds.
Attachments
S_Dollyrigged2.jpg
S_Dollyrigged1.jpg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Forgive me all.....I'm only obeying orders (well, am not really) but here is another picture showing the control Lyndon had of his boat in what was some seriously windy conditions.

Oh dear...have found yet more pics too....

D
Attachments
Lyndon Moth 21.jpg
(43.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
David H
roger

Post by roger »

bornagainmothie wrote:
(I could be tempted!)
Thanks Rupert, Its very satisfying to know. There is a strong tradition in the Moth fleet of not quite finishing the boat in time and still be fixing things on the way out to the start. Quite a few fell apart again soon afterwards, all part of the fun!
There is also a strong tradition in the cvrda of turning up with epoxy only just dry and varnish possibly a little tacky.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Lyndon,
Boat is no more likely to be damaged than any other, touch wood.
No problem with getting repairs done.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk