Non slip on varnish?

share hints, tips and experiences
phil58490

Non slip on varnish?

Post by phil58490 »

I have a very pretty varnished Solo but it is like a skating rink, I've tried different shoes but that makes no real improvement. I don't like the sand, or similar, in the varnish option but I would live with the stick on foam type on the floor stiffeners if it works and doesn't hold the water and rot the wood beneath. Your suggestions as to what would work would be appreciated.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Obscured by clouds

Re: Non slip on varnish?

Post by Obscured by clouds »

In a different life I usede to shape/build surfboards and sailboards. Several methods of applying non-slip were used in those days. The dreaded sand was usually dismissed as being a beginner's mistake\- given it's propensity for taking skin off. Granulated sugar was often used since this did'nt absorb the polyester resin we used at that time. The best results came from epsom salts of all things, it dissolved away after a time leaving a grippy but kind-to-the-feet surface. The downside was that it only a lasted a couple of seasons. How it would work with varnish is debatable, perhaps the modern granules you get for deck paint, applied in masked off strips as you want, would be a better option.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I have used surfers wax on varnish as it is not permanent. http://www.sexwax.com/
Harrier 25
505 7163
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not tried Epsom Salts (on the boat, neither...) but sugar, then dissolved away after, gives a lovely finish. Before it is dissolved, it will cut you to pieces, so wash it well!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

I've never actually tried it, but I've wondered about waiting until the varnish is about 80% cured and rolling on pieces of peel ply... I once accidentally dropped some peel ply onto varnish in that stats and it seemed to me to give a very neat textured surface.
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

JimC wrote:I've never actually tried it, but I've wondered about waiting until the varnish is about 80% cured and rolling on pieces of peel ply... I once accidentally dropped some peel ply onto varnish in that stats and it seemed to me to give a very neat textured surface.
That sounds like a nice idea, I'll try it out on an old varnished centreboard and see how it comes out.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Pat

Post by Pat »

We've tried the proper International additive and found it fairly useless.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

We've tried the proper International additive and found it fairly useless.
works for me....with one proviso...

you have to use a hardish varnish or otherwise it just gets rubbed down flat pretty fast.

personally, if you don't want it to be 'pretty', I would just buy some non-stick tape and use that. Works and is easy enough to remove when you want to try something else.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

When I last stripped the varnish from the Osprey it took me ages to remove tons of ugly sand/varnish mixture from the floor and gunwhales (I later discovered it had been put in from new to try and get the hull up to minimum weight...). The boat looked so good after varnishing I resolved not to put anything on to spoil the look of the beautiful wood. After the first sail with much entertaining flying about the boat from Mrs T attempting to find grip to get out on the wire and stay there she complained about bruises and refused to go out again until I had sorted it. A bit of research later I found this - http://www.heskins.com/aqua-safe and though I had to pay for a large roll it has been a boon. Not really noticeable from a short distance it is non abrasive but securely non slip and doesn't spoil the look of the wood at all. Mrs T sails with me still and I have found uses for the leftover tape on many boats since.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Graham T wrote: A bit of research later I found this - http://www.heskins.com/aqua-safe and though I had to pay for a large roll it has been a boon. Not really noticeable from a short distance it is non abrasive but securely non slip and doesn't spoil the look of the wood at all.
Thank you Graham, for pointing me in the direction of this tape.

I asked for samples which arrived next day and it looks very good so I've asked for a price, I think I will give it a try as I am still nursing the bruises from a couple of weeks ago.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Further to the above, Heskins don't seem to want to send samples out anymore. Probably because they sent the samples to me as a parcel and paid the parcel rate, I trimmed those down to envelope size and I have forwarded them to paulmidd on here so if you'd like to have a look ask Paul for the two samples or me for an offcut (I only have the one grade that I bought).

I had to buy 18.8 meters by 50mm which appears to be their usual roll length (you can have any width) which came to a shade over £30 with the VAT and courier service. I have not tried it out yet as it is part of my planned winter maintenance but it certainly looks to be what I was after.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold