recomisioning a mirror after a long layup

share hints, tips and experiences
PeterV

Re: recomisioning a mirror after a long layup

Post by PeterV »

I looked at a cadet for my first boat but immediately realised that you could do very little with it other than racing. We wanted a Mirror but couldn't afford it so bought a Brandy Hole OD (1970) Before moving on we had towed it behind Dad's cruiser, camped in it overnight and started racing.
I only saw two other BHODs (ours was number 25), I don't suppose there's any left now. Think Heron with no decks and that's pretty close, ideal for 3 small boys to have a lot of fun in.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
jules22

Post by jules22 »

more progress today, trolley shortened(by over 2 feet !) just a bit of fettling of the brackets and rollers left to do, then the kids can give it a paint job with some leftover chassis paint I have been given........ :) .

Have got 3 coats of primmer(joton) on the hull now, there are some marks on the hull that I missed when filling.
would it be ok to fill these now (over the paint) or should I sand the paint off first . :?: :?:

I will resist temptation and ignore the offensive comments from the frenchman !, but will say that a mirror on top of a mini looks way cooler than on a 2cv. :twisted: :wink:
miracle

Post by miracle »

where are the pics :D
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

jules22 wrote: there are some marks on the hull that I missed when filling.
would it be ok to fill these now (over the paint) or should I sand the paint off first . :?: :?:
Rupert Wheelan invented (or at least , told me about) the two paces back rule... when doing up an old boat, never worry about what can't be seen when you step back a little... everyone sees the overal effect of your work, only you will see the little flaws.

Unless its a flawless multi-million pound job of course... (like Rupert's look to me).
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

well it nearly done !, last few little things to do and then launch day beckons.

I am converting to center main, have mounted the bottom block on the rear of the c/b case. if the boom is in line with the center of the hull longways, where should the block on the boom go ?. if you took an imaginery vertical line from the bottom block up to the boom . on the line, or forward or aft of it ?, :?: any other pointers ?. thanks. J
JimC

Post by JimC »

jules22 wrote:well it nearly done !, last few little things to do and then launch day beckons.

I am converting to center main, have mounted the bottom block on the rear of the c/b case. if the boom is in line with the center of the hull longways, where should the block on the boom go ?. if you took an imaginery vertical line from the bottom block up to the boom . on the line, or forward or aft of it ?, :?: any other pointers ?. thanks. J
I suspect that depends on whether its the forward hand or the helm making the decisions! On the board case sounds a long way forward from the crew's pov. I think one vertically above the other would be conventional, but have never heard its critical. Sheet off the boom might be better for room in a small boat.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

jules22 wrote: if the boom is in line with the center of the hull longways, where should the block on the boom go ?. if you took an imaginery vertical line from the bottom block up to the boom . on the line, or forward or aft of it ?
If you _have_ to go center main in a Mirror, then the block on the boom should be just an inch or two astern of the one in the boat, so that any load is into rather than away from the goseneck. You will notice the orriginal transom geometry achieves much the same...

But you will probably wish you had not done it at all the first day you sail in less then hiking out conditions - center main will be hugely in the way!

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

If it is windy you will find that the boom bends, making the sail into a bag as you loose both foot and leech tension. I also hope your boom is up to the task as I broke one doing the centre main thing many years ago.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
jules22

Post by jules22 »

Thanks for replies, Only going to center main as my daughter who will crew and helm has only ever used this setup , so thought it would be easier for her !.

Is it a really undesirable thing to do to a old gaff rig mirror ?
JimC

Post by JimC »

I would have thought if you set it up like a Topper or Laser so you keep the 2:1 at the stern and just run the sheet forward with one turning block on the boom it will probably survive. If you have a true centre main then tha's going to be rather more dodgy. An off the boom setup would make for more room for the crew.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

Thanks for all the advise , its much appreciated !.

Have gone for a extra wooden block on the back of the case to move the stand-up block backwards about 3" , to give my crew more room to slide across the thwart.

I never planned a "true" center main, but the type of setup described above. sorry for any confusion over my terminology !. :oops:

Should be all finished this weekend, as boat is in the garage and all parts are now in hand. :D
jules22

Post by jules22 »

It floats ! :D , sailed it a couple of times now with my daughter and generally its ok, A few small niggles but all should be easy fixes.

One more question : I made a " horse " from 5mm line that runs between 2 fixing points on the transom either side of the tiller , about 10 " each side out from the centre. in the middle of this line is tied a loop with a single block for the main sheet. when holding the block up there is about 8" between the block and the transom top, both legs of the line are of equal length.

The problem is that the horse and block seem to roll about all over the place and often need help (straightening/untangling by hand) when sailing.
HELP !!!!!, what have I done wrong ?, any pictures of how a decent setup looks would be very welcome indeed.

cheers. Jules.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Traditionally, Mirror dinghies use a triangular mainsheet arrangement rather than a horse, and this will get tangled less. The mainsheet starts on one side (where the horse fixing is) goes round the boom block, doen to a block on the transom and then into the boat.
Rupert
jules22

Post by jules22 »

^^^ pretty sure this will not work with the center main type set up described earlier in the thread. :?

would a split tail on the end of the mainsheet do it , and get rid of the horse and block. :?:

Cheers. J
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sorry, had forgotten the centre main part...

yes, a split tail mainsheet will work, but a horse which is the right length to go block to block upwind should also work.
Rupert