wood fillers

share hints, tips and experiences
si_hitch

wood fillers

Post by si_hitch »

The restoration of my 1974 Enterprise is going to have to be put on hold, due to finances. My idea is to make use of her in the meantime by just filling the cracks and holes in the hull and give her a fresh coat of paint and varnish. I hope this will at least maintain her condition until I am ready to completely renovate her.
My query is with regard wood fillers, will they be up to the job? Which ones would you recommend. The holes range from a small crack to a full hole through the hull about 1" in diameter and are below the waterline.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: wood fillers

Post by Ed »

Fillers will smooth over dips and undulations in a structurally sound substrate.....

but they won't fix holes or cracks, if they are in any way structural.

Holes would need to be repaired, cracks may be happy with just filler, but are much more likely to need fixing properly.

You would have to show some photos for us to be sure.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jules22

Post by jules22 »

what about using thickened epoxy with a bit of ply stuck on the back (inside) if its a short term repair and small hole. :?:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have done very temporary hole repairs with polyester filler simply to get a boat on the water - one I can think of where the trailer had gone through the bottom when someone arrived to sail at Bristol Avon, so I put a piece of wooden box on the inside and then simply slapped filler on from the out. It was a bugger to remove when doing the repair properly a few weeks later, so it may well have lasted a while. On the other hand, it might have just dropped out as one lump. Slapping epoxy glop in a hole with a backing piece, as Jules describes, can certainly work, though. However, it maybe takes 1/2 an hour (if that) longer to cut a piece of ply roughly to size and use less epoxy glop to stick it in the hole. Exact fit is pretty unimportant, but you are less likely to push the whole repair out of the boat.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

@rupe +1
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
si_hitch

Post by si_hitch »

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/115509793@N05/

Have taken some pictures. From what people are saying, it seems scarfing in patches is the best way forward!
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Can't see any images, have you made them public?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
si_hitch

Post by si_hitch »

Pics should be live now.