Heat gun

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Heat gun

Post by Garry R »

As sod's law was firmly in operation in my workshop last week I had a plank of about 4" wide and 5' long to remove the varnish from when the lights went out on my old heat gun. I looked around the stores for a new one aware of the fact that some have a very high heat with the attendant scorching risk on the wood. However I plumped for a dual heat type from Wickes (£19.99) which also has an adjustable temperature control knob which makes the heat issue perfect for any job you wish to tackle. Just thought that I would share this with you all.
chris

Re: Heat gun

Post by chris »

I tried an ordinary iron on some flat pieces the other day,, (thwarts etc when you can put them flat on the bench) and was surprised how well it worked.
Place the (old!)iron on and leave for half a minute then scrape off with a large flat chisel or whatever and the varnish came away very cleanly. Move it along to the next bit while you scrape the hot bit. All the layers came off in one go.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Cheap heat guns (and sanders etc) on the net from Toolstation.com.

I think they are Silverline brand...buy the cheapest.

Toolstation are quite good, when I destroyed a sander they sent another by express delivery, no questions asked.

(No connection blah blah etc)

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Every Black'n'decker tool I have ever bought, broke within hours....except for my hot air gun. that lasted ages. Died in the end, even after fixing it a few times.

Now have one made by DeWalt. Have to say it was a bit expensive, but very nice, with controllable heat from barely warm through to roasting.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Ed
I've a Bosch Heat gun and it's lasted at least 10 years and is still going.
Cheers Al
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

My bosh of nearly fifteen years died a fortnight ago. I too have invested in the Wickes £19.99 special and I'm quite happy with the results it gives. It's not a versatile as the Bosh one I had, but it's also a fraction of the price of a modern day equivalent. I'll never spend loads on a heat gun again, I can't say I'll follow the same philosophy for any precision tools though....
....I would never buy Black and Decker anything again though, plastic fantastic that's made for the gentle hands of a lady and not my mildly use and abuse tenancies (despite best intentions) in my opinion ;-)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Watch out for dIY days at Lidl and Aldi. Good enough tools at great prices.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Best tool I have is an old metal case B&D with Two - yess 2! speeds! Replaceable brushes and bearings, and whats most important, it fits my B&D wood lathe come pillar drill multi work system.

40 years old still working fine!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
si_hitch

Post by si_hitch »

Heat guns in Lidl this week (commencing 9th June) for £9.99. Haven't used mine yet but looks good!