Trolley wheels

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

Trolley wheels

Post by Michael4 »

OK so its a bit of an odd question but I found myself surrounded by trolley wheels in the local chandlers the other day...and started wondering...

Are some wheels better than others? Or are some wheels better for some surfaces than others?

By 'better' I guess I mean those that have the least rolling resistance. I'll be launching from Dell Quay (Chichester) which as some of you will know is shingle/gravel etc.

I will need to tidy up my trolley (and trailer) in the next few weeks and wonder what route to take. Solid? Inflatable? What works best?

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
trebor

Re: Trolley wheels

Post by trebor »

Hi Michael, I have used the solid wheels with a very deep tread and inflateable barrow type, their is a longish walk from club up to water all uphill, inflated wheels are easiest, however they also make trolley float, solid wheels sink. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I agree pneumatic tyres are easiest over most surfaces, go for 16" if they will go on your trolley and not foul the boat supports. I use the cheapest I can find as they all suffer from sun damage and splitting after a few seasons. One of my current pair got a puncture and I was suprised to find the tube was made of PVC rather than the rubber I was expecting to find, I couldn't get a repair patch to stick so I replaced the tube which cost me about £3.

I used these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-400mm-16- ... 3f288550c1

My trolley doesn't float with them but it is solidly built being part of a combi trailer.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

Hi Michael,

Standard inflatable trolley wheels are best for DQ especially since you'll (most likely) be keeping your boat in the lane so it's a bit of a haul to the waters edge. You can get them quite cheaply via mail order from the larger chandlers, from Emsworth Chandlers or perhaps from the one just down the road from the club (but I'm not sure about that one). Buy a spare to keep in the car though - there are loads of brambles in the lane and punctures will always happen at the wrong time!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 14463 (shortly to go) and 151XX (shortly to arrive)
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Trolley wheels are best as Pneumatic, and have to have inner tubes as thr Car tyre "tubeless" variety will inevitably fail while you leave your boat on them over winter, and cant easily be repaired in the boat park.

Biggest practicable size is best, but also get a common size as that way they are easily found for replacements. The ones with plastic hubs are best as they are light and wont rust.

One limitation is transport. If your wheels are too big they can be difficult to store in or on the boat when you trail to another venue.
630005.jpg
These are the commonest type. From Force 4 chandlery. (there is one on the Chichester - West Wittering road near the Marina turning.
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

Trailertek at Micheldever near Basingstoke are one of the cheapest for wheels and they do mail order as well as a shop.
http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/copy ... heels.html
also good for road wheels and other bits for trailers.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Many thanks for all the advice...I'll go down the pneumatic route, the trolley is quite heavy so should not float...also I suspect it will not last that long. Planning to keep the boat for this year at least just behind the Wyche shed close to the hard so not so far to haul.

This will be my first full season back to dinghies after an absence of 40 years. Not sure how I'll find it but I worry most about dragging the boat back out of the water. If this year goes well I'll join a/the club.

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

For our club training boats we have used ROAD tyres for a trailer fitted to the nylon wheels as seen in the photo earlier in the thread. They are stiffer, and will hold many boats with no air in at all. Much more puncture resistant, and readily available from your local tyre delaer. Fit using an innertube.

With nylon wheels, do not inflate to more than 20 psi or the wheel will explode - can be nasty.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Yes, we bought five topper trolleys from Trident. The pneumatic tyres were cheap and all had to be replaced within 18 months, No grief from Trident but a lot of hassle.

I am tempted to go down the puncture proof solid wheels route.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
I brought new trolley tyres last year and will have to buy two new sets this year. They have perished and the nylon wheels have also started to crack.
Cheers Al
leedsy

Post by leedsy »

If you can find them there is a plastic trolley wheel sold with plastic needle roller bearings fitted. Keep them greased and the difference it makes is amazing! You have bearings in your road trailer and that gets towed by your car. the trolley is pulled by hand and has no bearings. stupid when you think about it.
cweed

Post by cweed »

The usual trolley pneumatic wheels are available from Screwfix at £15.99.
I usually repair punctures, but the red moulded wheel part with the spline type radial pattern disintegrate when they've been out in the weather for a few years and the tyre lever is used on the rim.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Sorry to revive this rather dull thread...

But...did the standard size of trolley axle/wheel hub change at some point? Am I right in thinking that the axles got ever so slightly smaller and the hubs a wee bit narrower?

If there is an 'old size' am I to assume that it is no longer available?

One of my trolleys is probably cvrda eligible. A tyre burst, the only replacement wheel/tyre I can find wouldn't fit without enthusiastic use of coarse files etc etc.and it still drags.

I hate trolleys, trailers and covers...a lot of £££ and no fun!

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

1" to 25mm, I guess?

Not sure what the solution is, I'm afraid, apart from making them bigger - anyone tried this with a pillar drill?

I have a set of wheels I got from B&Q, which, apart from being green (the colour, not the eco friendly, I'd say) look just like normal tyres, but are solid, except full of air bubbles, so give a softer ride. I've had them several years and they are showing no signs of wear.
Rupert
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Yes I've done the drill job but it is a bore (joke), the smell of melting plastic...

I bring the boat in over roughish stuff, and then winching (Cobnor) the softer the better but something solid and squidgy might be the answer.
Tideway 206
11+