miracle

plastic inspection hatch sealant

Post by miracle »

which one is ok to use , was thinking about regular bathroom silicone sealant

mirror miracle, hatch going in the ply deck
Rupert

Re: plastic inspection hatch sealant

Post by Rupert »

Do all the varnishing first, and any of them are fine. If buying specially, then maybe avoid silicone? I never have, mind, and have had no problems.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Get one of the recent design hatches with an O ring round the outside and its not a problem...
miracle

Post by miracle »

again thankyou folks valuable help :D
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

Hi, I used Sikaflex marine sealant.

It has an amazing bond, and it sticks to everything....

....so mask the area around the hatches otherwise it will be smeared everywhere.

If you do use silicone sealant, I would use a glazing grade and use the best you can buy. Alot of the cheaper sealants have fillers which is fine indoors around a loo but not so good when they should be resisting water pressure when capsized.

What type of hatch are you using? I used the RWO screw in hatch.

Make sure you line the hatches up so the opening bar or handle is vertical or horizontal when shut. That means you can always check that they are properly done up..... and they don't drive you mad because they don't look right. (OCD or what!!)
miracle

Post by miracle »

fcdbm wrote:Hi, I used Sikaflex marine sealant.

It has an amazing bond, and it sticks to everything....

....so mask the area around the hatches otherwise it will be smeared everywhere.

If you do use silicone sealant, I would use a glazing grade and use the best you can buy. Alot of the cheaper sealants have fillers which is fine indoors around a loo but not so good when they should be resisting water pressure when capsized.

What type of hatch are you using? I used the RWO screw in hatch.

Make sure you line the hatches up so the opening bar or handle is vertical or horizontal when shut. That means you can always check that they are properly done up..... and they don't drive you mad because they don't look right. (OCD or what!!)
cheers fcbdm , the hatch i have also came with a 6 inch piece of thin plastic with two small holes at each end , ill post a pic later , no idea what that's for, ill get some decent quality sealant as you say,no point in skimping.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Does anyone have a pic of the winner of the Wingnut trophy from last year's Nationls? I have not been able to think about sealant in the same way since.

I match my sealant to how much I care about the boat, so a club laser gets the Tesco value version.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

You also have to think about removal - might you want to take the fitting off again? Sikaflex can mean the fitting is never going to be removed without damage. For tank hatch covers on a wooden boat I might want to remove them for varnishing so would tend to use a bog standard silicone. It is just acting as a bedding compound and will be adequate to keep water from passing.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
miracle

Post by miracle »

Graham T wrote:You also have to think about removal - might you want to take the fitting off again? Sikaflex can mean the fitting is never going to be removed without damage. For tank hatch covers on a wooden boat I might want to remove them for varnishing so would tend to use a bog standard silicone. It is just acting as a bedding compound and will be adequate to keep water from passing.
great point graham, thinking ahead . :D