miracle rubbing strip

share hints, tips and experiences
Post Reply
miracle
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:19 pm

miracle rubbing strip

Post by miracle » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:09 pm

not sure which wood is used to make the miracle rubbing strips ,need to renew one side, bits that run outside full length , what would you use, mahogany oak , other ?

User avatar
jpa_wfsc
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Oxford (Work) Coteswold Water Park (Sailing)

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by jpa_wfsc » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:44 pm

I think on the Mirror we built (Bell Woodworking kit - so probably the same as the Miracle) they were not very special - a close grained pine kind of timber. Certainly not hardwood. They are supposed to add a bit of stiffness to the floor, but ultimately are sacrificial and take the knocks and wear sliding on the trolley / beach.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.

miracle
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by miracle » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:52 pm

jpa_wfsc wrote:I think on the Mirror we built (Bell Woodworking kit - so probably the same as the Miracle) they were not very special - a close grained pine kind of timber. Certainly not hardwood. They are supposed to add a bit of stiffness to the floor, but ultimately are sacrificial and take the knocks and wear sliding on the trolley / beach.
i mean the two rubbing strips that run around the outside top edges of the boat and not inside on the floor

User avatar
jpa_wfsc
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Oxford (Work) Coteswold Water Park (Sailing)

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by jpa_wfsc » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:37 pm

I was thinking of the two narrow strips outside on the floor!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.

miracle
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by miracle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:20 pm

jpa_wfsc wrote:I was thinking of the two narrow strips outside on the floor!
think they are commonly called outer gunwales, im new to sailing so terminology is also new, still a learning curve.

kfz
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:38 pm
Location: Liverpool SC
Contact:

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by kfz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 pm

Rubbing strip is fine. No hard and fact rules as long as the dimensions are in, she should be in class. Mahogony normally. Oak may not be so easy to bend to shape. Sure it possible if you try hard enough..



Quite few threads on here about fitting them so try search.

Rupert
Posts: 6246
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: Cotswold Water Park

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by Rupert » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:15 am

These days a mahogany substitute would be pretty normal - just something fairly hard but straight grained.
Rupert

Graham T
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:45 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by Graham T » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:45 pm

I normally use sapele on miracle gunwhales. Mind you mainly because the timber yard across the road from my workshop lets me dig through their offcut pile and there is usually a few bits the right size there. It also does the job well which is a bonus.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club

miracle
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by miracle » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:12 am

Graham T wrote:I normally use sapele on miracle gunwhales. Mind you mainly because the timber yard across the road from my workshop lets me dig through their offcut pile and there is usually a few bits the right size there. It also does the job well which is a bonus.
opted for sapele , should be fitted next week , then its decks , varnish , paint and seal, and on the water , lets hope for good beginner sailing weather

Post Reply