Spider...removing the cobwebs! N12 2523

share hints, tips and experiences
solentgal

Spider...removing the cobwebs! N12 2523

Post by solentgal »

Re "Spider" N12 2523 recently acquired.................

I had to make a decision yesterday......she wouldn't fit up in the garage roof (my emergency storage) so rather than put her back outside, I started work with the hope that I can get her weatherproof and ready to sail in a couple of weeks. So far no nasty surprises, and most of the interior varnish is just dirty, but appears mostly sound. I've removed some fittings to strip back where needed to do the worst areas......hoping to get away with doing the top of the box, support brace, thwart and most (probably all) of the decks.

My only area of concern is the starboard bottom panel which shows flaky paint inside and out....the sort that is usually sun damage....not sure yet, and it is pouring with rain at present so can't get on out there. Which reminds me to say that anyone restoring a wide boat in a small garage needs to remember that one needs room to work......something I didn't think of....I can only get round her when she's outside....and also with a bad back it is a long reach when trying to remove stubborn screws!

A couple more pics showing her hull shape better.....and also the rather curious red paint under the fittings.....she seems to have had some internal areas painted red and then stripped back for varnish.....and red overpaint in places makes it look like it was extensive....yet you would never really know it to look at her.....very odd....a mystery I would like to solve.

Hopefully this will not be a long thread and I'll have her sailing soon.......just lucky I have a window of opportunity due to a delay in building work here :)

Sami.
Steve Bailey

Re: Spider...removing the cobwebs! N12 2523

Post by Steve Bailey »

Can you prop the boat on her side against the garage wall, that way you can get past and don't have to lean in to work. Just needs a helper to move the boat every time you want to reach another part.
I'm doing a wide N12 (Crusader 3203) and have found this a much better way than bending over, which hurts my back too.
All the best
Steve
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Steve....yes, this would be my preference, as this is how I am doing my Moth....a very good way of working....especially if stripping the sides of the CB box......unfortunately space is a bit of a problem, and I'm hoping not to have to do enough work at present to warrant re-organising the garage (she typed one-handed with crossed fingers :))......and I am working mostly on my own at present too.
However, I'm just off outside now the rain has stopped, going to clean all the inside and get a better idea of what I'm up against.....so tomorrow she may well be put up against the wall!
Sami.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Michael Brigg
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

AAh....that would have been brilliant Michael.......Unfortunately I saw your post about half an hour after it ended :( Curses......but food for thought certainly, thank you.
Sami.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

solentgal wrote:AAh....that would have been brilliant Michael.......Unfortunately I saw your post about half an hour after it ended :( Curses......but food for thought certainly, thank you.
Or...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Artemis ... 27e505a023

Equally effective, regularly come up enough to get a real bargain (and if its to house a boat it doesn't need the sophistication of a modern one, so old bargains are there a plenty)

Also useful if you do get to a CVRDA rally or meeting any time, and perhaps less likely to get up the neighbours noses.

(Boats are after all like children, we love them all equally both for their faults and their favours) and who hasn't had children having camping nights in the garden??
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

To work inside the boat I often prop her on tressles upside down and work from underneath. Saves a lot of backache. Just make sure its secure from the other half lowering down and keeping you there. :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hmmm, not sure about the upside down idea.....ok for some things that I've done that way, but dust and gravity make it tricky. For now I am making do with short spells of backache....which is actually probably good for toning up a bit. It appears that I will be able to get her afloat without too much work.......my next issue will be working out all the string an wire bits.....haven't really looked at that yet.

The tent/polytunnel idea has got me thinking of how I can keep Fi-Fi dry and rustfree in order to carry on using the garage for projects though :)
Sami.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

To vary the aches in my back I leave the boat on trolley or trailer and then jack and chock up one side, sometimes taking the wheel off the other to get a different angle on things.

It is extraordinary how changing the 'angle of heel' from time to time can increase accessibility and show you what you have missed!

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Pat

Post by Pat »

We've got an Albacore upside down in the front garden using four adjustable builders tressles which can go up to about 5ft high, two at back and two at shrouds with planks between them to support the boat and then a single tressle with padding at the bow to stop any tipping. The extra height makes it easier to work underneath. It is also sheltered from the prevailing wind by the garage.
We've also got a marquee/tent like garage structure which houses Merlin 40 and we've previously even used the big family Cabanon frame tent which accommodated a Merlin easily.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

It seems we all have variations to solve these problems....... I somehow think the challenge is half the fun!

I use a L*ser gunwhale hung trolley with a padded fence post across the hangers, and then rest the fore-deck, usually just behind the bow fitting, on the trolley handle for upside down work. That way I can wheel it in and out of the garage and rest the bow end on a stool or something to vary the height at both ends (the middle being the pivot point is the only non variable).

Hoping to finish all the inside prep today (not a proper resto, just a quick refurb) and then flip her tonight ready to do the outside......more pics then.
Sami.
JimC

Post by JimC »

I'm an enthusiast for working on the boat on her side if the back is hurting. My garage roof has a selection of strong points (odd lengths of rope tied round the beams) that I can attach purchases to to lift up the boat. With that, a couple of sheets of builders insulation foam and some tyres I can turn boats over singlehanded, although admittredly mine are lighter than most.

(
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes....it's amazing what you can do with a bit of thought......brain outweighs brawn for sure :)

I'll be flipping Spider tomorrow morning...done all the immediate prep work now....(some of you who have visited me know I have an easy access lawn for this purpose).....this involves a leap of faith though.....lift bow, kick/pull/cajole/entice trolley out....lower onto bottom.....lift one side to balance point....push gently....run like mad round stern, and catch and lower......and breathe! Not dropped one yet....so here's hoping!

And then the lift and slide onto trolley/beam/carpeted handle.......old carpet is a girl's best friend......not quite the same intrinsic value as diamonds maybe....but a lot more practical :)
Sami.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Continuing where Sami left off.

I have put in two small veneer 'patches' on the deck to replace a bit of filler - one on the bows and the other on the stern, starboard side. Much prefer a small veneer patch than a blob of filler - even if it is not the same colour as the wood surrounding it. Three coats of G4 over the top - let that harden for a few days.

I spend most of Sunday cleaning and scrubbing - buoyancy bags, rudder, centerboard, mast, sheet, etc. lots of little jobs to do. Spares box is going to take a beating.

Next step is the inside of the cockpit - again a good scrub, followed by another coat of floor paint after I have soaked some of that wood hardener into the fine cracks in the floor to seal them up.

Then, perhaps we will look at the sides - it would be criminal not to at least have a rub down, followed by a coat of varnish - whilst the fittings are off.

Then it will time to start putting her back together again......But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Shout if you are missing any fittings or whatever and I'll take a look - I'm trying to reduce my spares mountain.
Rupert