Making you own boat cover - good idea?

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hawkins

Making you own boat cover - good idea?

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I am sure we have all been there, having bought our new 'object of our affection' only to be saddled with a cover that is either, on its last legs, does not really fit, or not there at all.

Of course, if you combine that with a boat that has changed shape over the years, you are now into the 'made to measure' ball park.

I appreciate with wooden boats, a cloth cover is ideal, but we can now be in the position that a new cover is now going to cost you as close to much as the boat did in the first place!

Spider came with a black poly cover, its a few years old and got a few holes in it and a bit of extra tape. Not ideal, but really very simple when you look at it. Corners folded over, eyelets pressed in. It got me thinking that I could try and reproduce it myself.

Anyone do this?

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Re: Making you own boat cover - good idea?

Post by Rupert »

I've always meant to, but never have. Only for a mast down cover, though.

The cover for the Minisail was a Lakelands plastic one, and it caused serious damage to the varnish round the edges of the boat. I bought a Sail Register breathable one, and had no more trouble. Yes, it cost more than the boat, but is saving more than that in hassle.

Mind, I've just priced up a Firefly and 2 Lightning covers. Sail Register by far the cheapest, but still about £350 for the lot. Gulp...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I think Pat has made covers before.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Black is probably the worst colour for absorbing heat. If it's plastic it is worse. I had one - - it was old and awful and went brittle. I got mine from Rain and Sun? Excellent over the last 6 years.
Stephen Hawkins

Yes I know what you are saying.

Two of the last 4 boats I have acquired over the last few years I have bought brand new breathable covers......One of which I have recently sold...Doh!

Sparkle came with a fitted cover, but its on its last legs and needs to be replaced....£200 for a N12, if I am quick (sale)

Spider comes with the old black poly cover - and it will have to do in the short term - its replacement will cost more than the boat did.

Sami did warn me that it would cook the boat if left out in the sun.....
Steve Hawkins

chris

Post by chris »

We made a very basic temporary one from two old sails. White does keep the heat out well. It was just to see us through 'Clywedog' weekend last year. Not that I'm suggesting it ever rain in Wales. It was waterproof more or less and could certainly breath because it wasn't a brilliant fit!
If you buy decent material I would say it will not save you much at all doing it yourself by the time you've got eyelets,, straps etc. and at the end will it be as good as a professional one?
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've gone into this fairly thoroughly and there are lots of places to get the right fabrics. If you are happy sewing things anyway then it's a good move - I've always done lots of dressmaking and had a summer job in a garment factory, steam pressing in the hot summer of '76 :-(

I've previously used Point North (Profabrics) http://www.profabrics.co.uk/ who will send samples and do sail and tent cloths, zips and all the fittings you could need.

On ebay there is Forrest Fabrics http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Forrest-Fabrics and I've recently used this next seller with a shop in Manchester who I will probably also buy the next lot of fabric from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mts-36-COTT ... 20e8faa99e. He has 70inch wide too and I got a sample and it is heavy.

You'd probably need an industrial sewing machine for proper outside top covers unless you have a very good ordinary machine that can cope with half a dozen layers of denim!

I've currently got an Albacore undercover, mast bags and travelling cover as work in progress. Finding the space to manipulate 10 metres of fabric through the machine is the hardest bit as my sewing & knitting room is tiny and very cluttered.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Stephen Hawkins

I would like to add to this thread on some recent experience.

I thought in the short term I would attempt to replicate the old poly cover with some new poly and plastic eyes, etc. I was disappointed to find a general lack of a boom up covers from many sources for an old N12, even if I had the spare cash for a flat cover. I do not like the flat cover as by the time the wet tarp has sat on the side/decks all year, its time for a strip and re-varnish.

The original black one was full of holes and, as mentioned above, black is not really a good colour.

So I bought some pale green/grey builder's under floor membrane stuff 4x3m sheet from B&Q, which should be just enough for a 12ft boat - £20. It was a similar thickness to the original cover but a much paler colour.

I then bought a load of plastic eyes from the interweb - you need at least 30 of them, 10 each side, and 10 for the bow/mast slot. You also need something stronger for the rear corners - I had some brass eyes from a previous project - £15 The some poppers for the tongue around the mast - another £5.

I then spread the new sheet out in the garden and put the old cover over it to draw around it to get the general shape. Put all the plastic eyes it. I then prepared the tongue to go round the mast area.

I then took the cover to the boat ready to cut the slots for the shrouds. This proved to be a problem area, with me having to cut a curved line from the edge of the cover the point where the shroud passes through. Neither side is a clean cut. But we got there in the end.

The cover is on the boat, and has been for at least a week now, I will go up and check it this coming weekend to see how it has coped. it still needs a bit of fettling as I used too thick a rope for the tie-downs.

So would I recommend this path to anyone else?

Well the jury is out. It was a lot of effort for something that will always look home made and be a big minus if I were ever to try and sell the boat - irrespective on how well it works in the real world. The fit is not perfect and nor is the workmanship. No doubt, if I did it again, I would make a better job of it. But it would be another £40 and day's mucking around. And you will struggle to get this material in any larger size than 4x3m (4m=13 ft)

After a little more fettling, I will use this cover over winter and let you know how long it lasts, before I bite the bullet and get a proper one made.

hey-ho.
Steve Hawkins

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Steve, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if it works it works and who is going to go wandering round the dinghy park in the winter anyway?!

I'm trying your 'half tennis ball idea' on Desperation's shrouds at the moment, they tend to get blown off in a strongish wind but in theory at least they must help.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Floor membrane is available on the roll. Can't remember how long by maybe 4m or so, but certainly big enough for a dinghy

I have made covers which are untidy but work well. The stuff does get brittle after 18months or so.

but it works and is cheap enough.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it