UnSkol gets a newbottom...

share hints, tips and experiences
Spiderman

Re: UnSkol gets a newbottom...

Post by Spiderman »

Ouch! Yes you can scream and probably throw something across the workshop as well!
I suspect that we have all suffered a similar mishap at some stage, usually though trying to do a two man job in a hurry on your own....

I hope that you can sort it yourself or is this going to require another trip to see the "Axeman"?

I have tried to add a pic of "UNSKOL" taken at Bough Beech, but the file is too big so if you pm me with your email address I will send it seperately.

Cheers

Ian
roger

Post by roger »

Thats is so annoying when that happens. As Ian says usually trying to do something on your own.

Sream and shout and let it all out.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JimC

Post by JimC »

Decided I was never going to get the paint done so saved up the pennies...
25336732593_405a829432_c (2).jpg
25965472995_1a96a24ef8_c.jpg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Wow!
Rupert
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

ooooh that looks shiny! and must be perfect prep to carry such a dark colour.
Is that an even darker blue or straight black?

Are we likely to see it in action at Baltic Wharf in a few weeks time???
JimC

Post by JimC »

bornagainmothie wrote:Is that an even darker blue or straight black?
Its a Dark Navy Blue. Lifeboat colours really, but it was the only blue the shop had. Not sure about Baltic Wharf. Hopefully get on the water this weekend, then we'll see.
JimC

Post by JimC »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56735928@ ... 9257/page2

Thanks to Peter Curtis of my club for taking a quick spin so I could grab the snapshots.

Doesn't seem to leak which is pleasing. The new shape seems to work OK. The extra rocker hasn't harmed to transition into forced mode much, perhaps because of the lift from the flat floor. She's maybe a little unsteady at speed, which is probably because I didn't get as much sharpness into the chines aft as I'd have really liked.

The cockpit floor is better supported before, and there is noticeably a lot less squeaking and groaning when moving round the boat (from the boat anyway!).
Last edited by JimC on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Very pretty.. the colour scheme works well...
Matt

Int Moth K2992
JimC

Post by JimC »

Come across a problem with Unskol. Managed to capsize and couldn't get back in (roll tacking with control line round the ankle!). I'm so overweight for the boat that I couldn't get on the centreboard before the boat flipped upright, and with the weight of mast and wet sail the boat is so unstable that I couldn't get in over the side, or keep the boat upright long enough to go to the stern and climb in that way. Waiting until the boat inverted I couldn't climb on the bottom from the side before the boat came up on here side again!

The only thing I didn't try was climbing on the inverted boat from the stern, that might be worth a go. Can't water start like a modern moth, at least in lightish conditions because by the time the buoyant side deck is immersed enough the boat is leaning way over and falls over again... Of course none of this would be a problem if I were as light and agile as a Moth sailor ought to be.

Think I'm going to have to find a carbon stick to get some static stability...

The new shape, BTW, appears to be quite a weapon in sub displacement speed conditions even with the weight penalty.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Would some righting lines fastened under the gunwales help?
They seem to help on Solos which suffer also from too much side buoyancy. I have seen them anchored near the shroud points then led around to a Velcro fixing at the transom which can be pulled free. A rope step fashioned at the right length would provide a leg up onto the board quickly without levering the boat up.

Of course the best method is to stay in it, but like you say, not easy with a control line around the ankle!

Look forward to seeing UnSkol in action somewhere soon. Have you spotted Stuart's woodentop Skol? Pics on cvrda facebook and Lowrider Moth FB page.

Lyndon