F272 hole fixed....

share hints, tips and experiences
zany272

F272 hole fixed....

Post by zany272 »

A while back i posted a question about how to go about fixing the chasm that appeared in the stern of the Firefly. I took the advise, and the resulting patch is looking pretty good, and fared well in its first outing on the Dart on Tuesday.
IMG_2956small.jpg
As you can see, the rot was very extensive, and kept on going another 2 inches into the hull.

For the patch, i used quarter saw 2mm oak, from John Moody timber in Modbury, who charged a very reasonable price for quite a lot of nice wood.

I started on the inside, cutting into god wood and gluing in the planks with expanding epoxy as I went.

Because the original layers were only around 0.7mm thick, and I was using 2mm oak, the middle layer had to be feathered down so that the oak didnt stand proud at the transom end, but was glued onto enough good middle layer at the forward end to make a strong patch.

Then, the hull was flipped over and planed the original middle layer so it feathered into the inner layer underneath, so that the outside layer, which was put on next, could sit down flat on the middle layer and the inner layer.
The outside strips were then cut and glued in.
The strips that went around the curve of the bilge were quite tight, and 2 snapped and had to be re-cut.... very annoying....

Anyway, fairing, varnish, etc.... ready for a very nice sail on the river.

See repair and sailing photos here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Happy new year,

Will.
Will Paterson.
Rupert

Re: F272 hole fixed....

Post by Rupert »

Good to hear of another old Firefly getting back on the water.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Yes, well done. I have been thinking twice before taking this on.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
zany272

Post by zany272 »

Ah it was so worth it, not just because of how much prior effort was put into the boat two years previous. Wasnt about to right off 4 years worth of work....
Plus I value the boats heritage, and the originality. Theres also something about doing a good job on a boat......
And I like a challenge (didnt disappoint)

Will.
Will Paterson.