K89

share hints, tips and experiences
jpa_wfsc

K89

Post by jpa_wfsc »

A sad story..

There was an accident on the way home from buying IC K89 (not going to discuss that here) and IC K89's hull is now very badly damaged. Suffice to say, it went through a hedge (sideways) at about 40mph and then fell into a 6' deep ditch.

Economically, a write off. It would be nice to repair and keep her going (gosh, she was nice to look at!) but I do not have the time to do that - which means expensive rebuild costs. The repairs are all possible - imagine you had been tee-boned in a regatta, you could fix that, but there are about 8 such locations of that sort of damage. I'm very unhappy.

So - no point crying into my beer, I have to plan a way forward. I could strip and sell all the bits, which would offset the financial pain a bit, and destroy what remains of the historical interest of this boat. Find another hull, and move all the good bits over. Or do what I would love to do (and might when I retire in 10 years time) and design and build an IC from scratch. But not going to happen now!

If anyone knows of an IC hull only - but at a very budget price - I would have some interest. Someone might want to buy all the good bits - mast, boom, 1960's sails, rudder seat and board - to make another project somewhere work out.

Any thoughts, any one?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
dronskiuk

Re: K89

Post by dronskiuk »

Really sorry to hear that on so many levels - I assume you're ok and am glad you are on here to tell the tale.

Good luck with your decision, the advice on here will be as good as is available

Andrew
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Email sent...
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
JimC

Post by JimC »

Well, as long as you are OK. Suggest you make no decisions until the insurance company dance is over, never know what might turn up out of that. I do know where a later boat, 160ish IIRC, is sitting in a shed roof waiting for a mast and owner enthusiasm.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Glad you are OK after whatever happened John. Sounds like a nightmare.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Turned the canoe over this afternoon to check out how bad it is underneath: worse than I thought as there is some crush damage to the hog.
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

waiting for a mast and owner enthusiasm.
mmmm...yes, I have a few boats like that too.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
roger

Post by roger »

Is it really I write off or is it a job to far for you John? It would be such a shame if it was.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Mike Bridgwater

Post by Mike Bridgwater »

Just emailed....
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
Mustard Seed Merlin (awaiting new deck)
IC K89
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Would be interesting to see some images...

Rarely is a boat impossible to fix, just sometimes the effort is out of balance with the rewards!

Hey, you could always take a carriage rail or something and build a new canoe. In fact I have a shell that you could use :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Well guys.. no wooden boat is EVER beyond repair, as the materials just lend themselves to being worked with. The Irene, for example, burned down to her water line and then sank - but a few years later is sailing again.

http://cinnabarsolutions.co.uk/Irene/?page_id=474

Photos of the hull damage I have just posted to our cvrda group on Facebook. At one point in the bow, the jull and desck are cut almost half way through by the tow straps.

I would actually enjoy very much rebuilding this hull - but do not have time now.
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Delighted to say that K89 is now with someone who has the time to do the rebuild.
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Mike Bridgwater

I am pleased and excited to have taken on K89. Seat, carriage and other bits have been fixed, stripped and in process of being varnished. Most unusual hull.......... Its ply with a lot of twist, almost "tortured" deep V forward and chines that run from the stern to as far forward as the mast and sweep up to deck level; very like the "Seafly" dinghy. There's lots of rocker and the centreboard is well aft, pivoting under the seat. It's a different shape from Jack Holts one, K41 was it?
The main is also unusual in being fully battened for about the top 2/3rds the bottom being "soft". I've cleaned it and it's come up quite well (amazing what a bit of "Vanish" will do!).
I would very much appreciate any info and history about the boat.
I will try and upload some pictures when I get the hull in the workshop.
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
JimC

Post by JimC »

The Canoe Association will probably have more information, but on the list of Canoes I have it says of K89 "Built on a modified Proctor Mk2 mould, and originally named Desafinado" That of course presupposes the sail matches the boat, and some doubt has been cast on that in threads past. Take all the hull photos you can and we'll get them to Peter Wells, who is the best bet to recognise anything of this sort of vintage.
Mike Bridgwater

I will take some pictures and get them online. I can't find anything on Proctor canoe designs, as you say, she could be a different hull... There's no number on the hull but she came with 2 sails: one K89 and the small one K133.
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89