How do i refit my bailer on Citrene

share hints, tips and experiences
tomslade

How do i refit my bailer on Citrene

Post by tomslade »

Hello
Another newbie question about my Pegasus
I found rot around the Port bailer. So today i removed the fitting to see how much wood was gone. A lot of the wood long the inboard and aft edge crumbled away meaning there isn’t much left to refit it to. Which has got me questioning the best way to refit it.
Do I..
A) Cut a bigger hole, repair with a new bit of ply then cut hole for bailer in that
B) Cut a bigger hole, repair with fibreglass then cut new hole for bailer
C) Fix bailer to what little wood is left and glass in place

Cheers

See pics for details

Hole and bailer
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129843684 ... otostream/

Top looking down
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129843684 ... otostream/

Bottom looking up
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129843684 ... 711355189/
Rupert

Re: How do i refit my bailer on Citrene

Post by Rupert »

Option1 for me, I think. Only cut the bailer hole before fitting the ply in place.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yeah, option 1

won't be hard :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
JimC

Post by JimC »

Agreed on option 1, but I'm not sure about cutting the hole first in all circumstances.

If I were dealing with a curved surface where the ply going in was going to be bent significantly when in place I think I'd get the ply in in one piece and glue set before cutting the hole to avoid distortions and worse at the corners when bending it in place.
If it were near enough flat then sure, cut hole first because its easier and because the hole is really handy for getting clamps on!
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

Thanks for your replys, I kinda knew you would all suggest option 1.
My fiberglass skills are ok, but my woodwork skills are non existent so I'm just lacking the confidence to do it the 'right' way
I found what appears to be a good guide on replacing sections of ply on the West System epoxy web site.
Are there any other good easy to follow how to guides on the internet that anyone knows of?
Cheers
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

From looking at the pics, the hole looks like a patch could be supported on 3 sides by bits of wood already there, so just leaving the fourth side to be scarphed. If you start with that one, epoxy will cover a multitude of sins on the other 3.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Tom, I understand your concern as I don't consider myself a woodworker either. But, as Rupert says, epoxy makes everything a lot easier as joints get great strength from the epoxy even if the wood isn't well 'mechanically' joined. So for your bailer you can let a new piece of wood in with a simple 45 degree angle on the edges which are unsupported and use existing frames where you can. I always end up thinking the doing was a lot easier than the worrying about it beforehand.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

PeterV wrote:. I always end up thinking the doing was a lot easier than the worrying about it beforehand.
Thanks good advice
As I have a young family I get very little time to do the doing bit, but seem to have a lot of time to do the worrying part!