how do you manage a restoration project?

share hints, tips and experiences
tomslade

how do you manage a restoration project?

Post by tomslade »

Hello all,
Jobs list for Citrene keeps getting longer and longer, I've about 10 jobs on the go, my garage and now loft is filling up with bits and pieces, tools everywhere.
So I am looking for tips on how to project manage a restoration. How do you guys keep tabs on all the bits you remove, is the trick to label everything or do you just take lots of pics? Also my collection of screws is getting bigger, is it worth reusing 60 year old screws it should they be r replace.
Is there a sensible order in which to do things? Open ended question really, what are your top tips for keeping organised.
Cheers
Ed
Site Admin

Re: how do you manage a restoration project?

Post by Ed »

Well, what I normally do is start another project....and mix up all the jobs/bits/funds etc ....

OK, might not help.....but its fun :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

Take plenty of close up photos before you take the bits off. (easiest way to remember where they go back).
Large ice cream tubs with lids to keep the small bits.
Then just start at the beginning and carry on. a project usually has a habit of telling you which bits to attend to next.
Consider weak points that may seem OK but could be suspect (eg fittings for the forestay and shrouds) Nothing worse than sailing along in a breeze saying I wish I had redone that bit...
Don't count the hours you spend on it!
buy the new bits gradually, then you won't have such a shock.
Any soft bits? if in doubt sort them out.
GAv

Post by GAv »

tomslade wrote:Hello all,
Jobs list for Citrene keeps getting longer and longer, I've about 10 jobs on the go, my garage and now loft is filling up with bits and pieces, tools everywhere.
So I am looking for tips on how to project manage a restoration. How do you guys keep tabs on all the bits you remove, is the trick to label everything or do you just take lots of pics? Also my collection of screws is getting bigger, is it worth reusing 60 year old screws it should they be r replace.
Is there a sensible order in which to do things? Open ended question really, what are your top tips for keeping organised.
Cheers
I had stored so much stuff that having scrapped 3 boats when we downsized moved that 3 hulls went on a bonfire, and whilst Nessa has lots of the major parts off a Phantom, and I later sold the spars and such off a Streaker, last week some Mirror bits went, but one is almost inevitably left with myriad fixings and fittings.
I have just stripped out the hull of a Firefly, and sold a fair few bits off it, cutting down the only box that the rather bigger than expected rudder tiller extension took up, but it went for the same postage as the sails, from the FF and a suit of Mirror ones earlier.
Anyway the sails were destined via the UK to the buyer in Latvia, and after asking my advice on rigging he bought fixings and fittings.
I also decided to reduce my 7 motorbike fleet two of which were in the shed.
In so doing not only did I find boxes of associated sundries. And more full of boat paraphernalia.
Next time there is a boat jumble I'm taking the whole lot.
Please don't get me wrong I have probably saved more boats and put them back on the water.
Last week a guy collected a petrol tank bought off me via Fleabay and was congratulating me,about my little 69 Viva Classic car, he kindly said people like you keep such classics on the road, which we can all enjoy thanks, didn't let on I would swap it for his open top Mazda RX5 in a heartbeat.

Trouble is I took it the Viva,in for an MOT and it needs a new bottom steering arm bush and brake master cylinder, and whilst the front number plate was OK last time I have to now put some old fashioned, suit car year) silver on black plates, I was gonna to anyways.
and guess what ,the big box of spares does not include either other item.
Once letting a relative have my old Daimler V8, he dined out on stories(exaggerated)that after towing it out of a lock up, the shape of that Jag based saloon remained in the form of all the surroundingbspares.

Perhaps it's machismo, or ism, but I kinda like ordered chaos.

Anyway join the club, and good luck as a novice hoarder.
trebor

Post by trebor »

I break job down into items.

Sails
Spars
Rigging
Hull

I find if I think of the whole job, it gets a bit overwhelming.
I only have Hull left to finish on Minisprint, which is the major job, I am about halfway through this.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Paul Rogers

Post by Paul Rogers »

Thought you were doing that today Rob. ;-)
Paul
Sandwell Valley SC
Mirror 39
Mirror 10546. Mirror 24184
Albacore 1455. Firefly 2705
Wyche & Coppock 16' awaiting restoration.
Gull Mk 3
Minisail Monaco 1. Monaco II 2343
Sprint I 3400. Sprint II 4240
Sprite 806. Dished deck Monaco 1
trebor

Post by trebor »

I did not have time today, but one day would not finish it anyway. plus I had forgotten about boat park key.

You need to update your boat list.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I just Faff around like Ed does, really, using bits where needed. Next job is to make a Minisail dagger board from a Mirror one, as I cracked the current one today. I'll fix it, but don't trust it.
Rupert
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

Some good advice there. Cheers
Chris, only buy stuff as you need is a great idea. I keep buying stuff off eBay cos I think it might be useful. My latest purchase being a spinnaker pole, which I must be at least a year away from actually being able to use it!
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Know what you need to complete the project and buy accordingly as the opportunity and cash allows.
But don't get ahead of yourself; I had a new lugsail for the 18 made and at several hundred pounds [ie a lot], only to find myself changing the plans rather radically when my self built mast failed to glue up properly, and by then I could'nt afford another build.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Depends on your Garage type.

If you are like me,....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3038&hilit=garage+therapy

I know I should do the fiddly bits first...but you know how it is. The restoration time , or perhaps I should say, the time it takes to put something back together again really is inversely proportional to the time it takes to take apart!

Concentrate on the task, but not so much that you loose track of the project....

Michael Brigg
chris

Post by chris »

I love the double ended canoe!!!!!more easily done than you might think.
Reminds me of a pegasus owner who painted one side red the other green for port'n starboard....then turned the boat the right way up again and ....come to Clywedog to see the result.
( Apologies to KR)
roger

Post by roger »

The one thing no one has answered is 60 year old screws, I am amazed you have got them out with any thread attached. I would bin and use good old stainless.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I would bin and use good old stainless
Worth looking for some good 'old' stainless cos there ain't much good 'new' stainless about ;-)

But then there isn't much good 'new' brass either.

Truth is I am starting to get dead hacked off with crap quality screws these days. I know...I know....serves me right for buying so much crap chinese brass screws from screwfix or whatever, but the volume of available cheap brass and stainless screws is making the demand for quality screws go down....and hence the price up, making the choice even harder.

I hadn't noticed so much of an issue with screwfix stainless, but have just re-fastened stem and transom for a 14ft clinker boat, replacing a a hundred of so slipping copper nails with stainless screws. Job worked out fine, but wasn't that impressed by the screws, which were notably softer and weaker than those I have used in the past, feeling no stronger than what i would expect from a brass screw.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh, and for Chris, Michael, there is always this wonderful Giles cartoon:

Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull