Restoring RNSA 14

share hints, tips and experiences
Tumblehome

Restoring RNSA 14

Post by Tumblehome »

I have recently acquired a 1944 RNSA 14 dinghy in fairly good condition and have set about getting her ready for the water this summer (hopefully) and then a in-depth restoration over the winter. She was built at a civilian boatyard in 1944 (no doubt they were all engaged in 'war work') and subsequently rebuilt in 1978, but remains remarkably original save for the loss of the bronze buoyancy tanks (no sign that any were originally fitted) and has had a Bowsprit added at some point (replacement jib to accommodate). The original metal rudder has been cut off just below the stock and a wooden blade attached to the stump. The current sails are modern nylon, I would be most grateful if anyone can assist with obtaining an original canvass set or knows the whereabouts of any of these items or a donor boat.

I am also hoping that someone can provide me with a set of plans so that I can ensure authenticity during her restoration and/or allow re manufacture if necessary and would like to establish dialogue with other owners, exchange photos, ideas, advice etc.

Tried to upload photos but they are too large, I will re-format and post some later.
Last edited by Tumblehome on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds and following seas,

Andy

⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️

⛵️ RNSA 14
Tumblehome

Re: Restoring RNSA 14

Post by Tumblehome »

Some photos as promised:

Andy

⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️

⛵️ RNSA 14
Tumblehome

Post by Tumblehome »

Andy

⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️

⛵️ RNSA 14
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Looks like a really worthy restoration and a lovely boat.

Good luck!

As a matter of interest, did you see that someone is trying to sell a bronze centreplate hoist on ebay for £275!

Wish they were worth that. I have got two of the things hanging around.

More photos please as you get going with the restoration. Bound to take you much longer than you think, but it will be worth it in the end.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

Great project! I'm sure you will enjoy doing it aswell as sailing the end product.
A few CVRDA types have Naval pasts and may be able to sugest Naval archives etc to start asking about plans. I didn't find the Falmouth museum too helpful when I asked what archives and plans they had but they could be worth a go, but according to the Small Boat reigister they have two listed.

I often look out for cotton sails and they do come up from time to time. I recently bought two old mainsails off ebay for £20. they were off some small old gaff rigged yacht. The material was good on one of them and rotten on the other, but for 20 quid it gave me enough material of the right type to make a sail I wanted. (My daughter had been making sails on a tall ship over last year and did the work)

Heavier cloth is probably available but the original type and weight may be a real problem ( then you have to find a sailmaker who can do the traditional work - they are around.)

I was interested to find this link for a good modern substitute from the States.
Good luck.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

I mentioned your find to one of our club elders who was telling us how he learned to sail in one of these and other admiralty dinghies while serving in the Royal Navy, and remembers them fondly. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the plans but he has consulted his "Manual of Seamanship, volume 1 (1937, reprinted 1944) and found the following references which may be of interest...

[URL=http://s225.photobucket.com/user/s ... .jpg[/img][/url]

timeandtideboats

Post by timeandtideboats »

If anyone is interested in learning a bit more about the RNSA, and seeing pictures of a beautiful condition RNSA 14' then you may find www.timeandtideboats.com have one on our website. The dinghy is from 1967 and so is one that was built for family sailing and has the practical modifications of a quarter deck upfront, and side seating. It is lovely boat for day sails or dinghy cruising.
Tumblehome

Post by Tumblehome »

Needless to say, here we are 3 years on and I haven’t lifted a finger on the boat yet! I have however managed to obtain a set of original Naval issue Egyptian Cotton sails, not new but in VGC, some very slight mildew spots, a bit grubby and the main has 3 very small (professional) repairs at the leech. Going to give then a wash in sone Luke warm water and (non biological) soap and see how they look once clean.

I have also obtained a set of plans, probably not complete as none show the mast and fittings, although the boom and gaff appear on one of the plans. Also missing are the plans for the copper buoyancy tanks, which I would dearly love to fit, either found or re-manufactured. Included with the plans are the lines, which are unfortunately a bad copy however, these appear on the web so I am hopeful of procuring a decent copy without too much problem. I do have the plans for the original canvas (Duck in RN speak) boat cover, which has allowed me to authenticate the cover I already own, and the plans for the sling used to lift the boat from the water (as I don’t own a battleship I am unlikely to need that!).

I have managed to move the bowsprit slightly and confirm that the head of the Stem Band has been cut off, and the stem (probably) shortened, certainly recessed, in order to fit the bowsprit. I am toying with making a “plug” to fit over this, rather than scarfing a new section into the stem. The (original) stem band covers the front, top and rear of the stem and is fastened to a yoke behind, convincing me that the “plug” won’t be taking any strain from the forestay and jib, which both attach to the top of the stem band (same set up as on the Islander 14 boats).

Right, now that I have managed to spend more money on the boat and write another post, it is time to kick myself severely in the back side, clear the garage and “bloody well get on with it” as my old Sgt Maj would say!

Love to hear from any other owners, anyone with RNSA 14 bits to sell or more importantly, the holy grail of rebuilds; a donor boat!

Andy

⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️

⛵️ RNSA 14
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I know it has been a while since your last post, however I have just become the owner of an RNSA Dinghy. I also have lots of questions!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa...