Varnishing and so on

share hints, tips and experiences
JimC

Re: Varnishing and so on

Post by JimC »

chris wrote:It didn't last well on the front door either.
I think that's sort of my point: not so good when exposed to full on conditions. After all, unless it faces north, the front door probably gets more UV exposure in a year than a boat living under a good cover gets in ten, and frost and rain... But cheap "yacht" varnish on furniture inside the house (where it never gets frost and never gets much UV) seems to last indefinitely even under the plant pots where water gets spilled from time to time.
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

So the boat is home and I am making preparation for the big jobs...Have decided on Jotun as the choice of gloss varnish , the question here is ...

Can I use something like turps or spirit as a thinner?
1965 Albacore No 1775 "XQSME"
previous = 1962 Wayfarer W170 "Peter Pan"
Flying Fifteen
Twister
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Jotun should tell you what the recommended thinner is, surely? In general, I thin varnish with white spirit, but not used Jotun.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Jotun do at least 4 varnishes and I would imagine have a thinner for each of them.

So depends on what you are using.....

The two simplest 'traditional' varnishes they do are Spontan and Ravilak.

Spontan I would think you would be OK with using white Spirit. Ravilak most probably OK to....

You can see full details at: https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/varnishes/

On the whole, most traditional varnishes will work with white spirit.......but for two-packs and polyurethanes I would advise using the correct thinner.

But if I had any issue with 'drying' or 'pulling' the first thing I would suspect would be the thinner and would then try the correct one to see if that sorted the issue.

Hope this helps

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it