Mast fitting removal..

share hints, tips and experiences
realnutter

Mast fitting removal..

Post by realnutter »

My N12 (N3214) has some spurious fittings on the mast... There's what looks like a spinnaker halyard block about a foot about the jib halyard, and a spinnaker pole loop about 18" above the gooseneck...

I don't need them, so plan to drill out the rivets and remove them...

Should I leave the holes open, or put a pop rivet into each hole? The holes are all on the front of the mast..

Matt
Matt

Int Moth K2992
JimC

Re: Mast fitting removal..

Post by JimC »

The pole loop might very well be associated with an old style jib stick, and the block maybe with a dangly pole setup.

People traditionally do put rivets in the holes, but I can't see its anything other than cosmetic.

[later] and at this stage I wouldn't remove either. Dangly poles are great, and the only argument against them is a insistence on authenticity. And if you don't have one you certainly want to have the loop for a jib stick.
Last edited by JimC on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Almost certainly parts of Dangly Pole set-up. I would keep fitting above goose neck as can be used for jib stick if dangly pole is not set up.
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

It's got a dangly pole which doesn't use any of those fittings!

I think I'll remove the top halyard block to stop it rattling around, but keep the lower loop...

Matt
Matt

Int Moth K2992
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

You might find that the mast is not the original. My N12 sports a mast of a Lark.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"