2 pack primer tin life

share hints, tips and experiences
Obscured by clouds

2 pack primer tin life

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I'm in the middle of a refit to my 'retirement home' and am sealing and painting the battery box, console rudders and daggerboards.

I've G4'd the rudders and box but intend to use 2pack primer on everything else, then finish with something like toplac or another 2 pack.

My question for the esteemed members of this forum is this: once I have mixed the 2 compnents [750ml] and applied it, how long will the remainer stay liquid in a tightly sealed container? I could just mix an amount that I need for that coat, but I'm unsure as to how critical the ratios have to be.

I had some success with eposeal, getting a couple of days reprieve - long enough to get another coat on, and I'm hoping this will have a similar outcome, it's too expensive to waste.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
trebor

Re: 2 pack primer tin life

Post by trebor »

Generally speaking a builders mug of paint just needs a splash approximately a dessert spoon.

Normally 2 pack sets like filler once mixed, it does not need air, you were lucky before.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
JimC

Post by JimC »

Eposeal is a special case because its so solvent heavy. I do wonder how well the chemistry worked when you left it to react in the pot though. I shouldn't be surprised if the coating was performing a long way shy of its capabilities. But Rupert's right, two pot will definitely react and go off. 25mil Plastic medicine measuring cups are good for small quantities...
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Like others have said.....I don't think you will get long, but guess if you wanted to extend it as far as possible, might try putting it in the fridge....that might slow it down a bit, but agree with JimC, that I would worry that this might effect the performance of the coating.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

thanks all. answer seems to be - paint everything, all at once before it goes off :)
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]