To tape or not to tape, that is the question...

share hints, tips and experiences
hall_g

To tape or not to tape, that is the question...

Post by hall_g »

Can the panel help me please?

I've purchased a British Moth with a hull which has been largely stripped of paint. Apparently that there was a small leak into the front bouyancy tank, hence stripping the hull. The hull looks extremely sound indeed, and the leak was thought to be at a joint between two of the sheets of ply.

When I'm sure that all is completely dry, should I:

a) Re-seal the joints using just a mix of epoxy and microfibre
b) Epoxy and 4" glass tape over the joints, then disguise this with a touch of light filler or something
c) Do something else instead

Whilst I am at it, should I give the whole hull a couple of coats of epoxy, or is that a bad idea?

Very grateful for any guidance that you can offer.

Best Regards,

Gavin
jules22

Re: To tape or not to tape, that is the question...

Post by jules22 »

I have no experience of moth repair, but b has worked for me on another plywood boat.

I mixed up a batch of epoxy and painted/wetted out the effected area, poured some off into another pot and thickened up, splogded (tech term :wink: ) this mix into the gap between sheets, then used the last of the unthinned to wet out the tape over this join.

All the above was wet on wet, when it set up I faired it in with epoxy and filler additive. microballons I think ? (red colour)

I still have the boat and its been a good fix. HTH. :)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've used a and b over the years. Never liked the glass tape option, always preferred a bead, but no doubt it works. As for whether you should epoxy, it appears to depend on personal preference. Seen it work well, seen it go horribly wrong.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

As for option c, can you get to the inside of the tank? Do a big seal in there, and then a neat little line of epoxy on the outside.
Rupert
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Yours was an early Jeff Ambrose boat, but does she have frames, I cant remember?
If so, the ply must have sprung apart from the framing somewhere. You will need to glue it back on but watch out for decay around the failed joint. If found, see if any decayed material (ply) needs to be removed back to good material before getting stuck in with epoxy products.
If you are lucky, you may get away with just prising the joint open and injecting some glue? Job done.
Godfrey
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
Much to be said for using a digital camera or phone to take a picture of the inside of the tank
Steve :D
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331