Rechargeable Random Orbital Sander

share hints, tips and experiences
alan williams

Rechargeable Random Orbital Sander

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys need to do a lot of sanding on the FF. Can anyone recommend a random orbital cordless sander that does not cost the earth. Looked at Makita but at £235, I know it's a good machine but way out of the price I'm prepared to pay. Can your hire them?
Al
alan williams

Re: Rechargeable Random Orbital Sander

Post by alan williams »

Has any one purchased Ryobi cordless tools and are they any good? I'm thinking of buying their 18V orbital sander.
Cheers Al
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

I think Ryobi have a pretty good reputation, but haven't owned one myself...
Matt

Int Moth K2992
jules22

Post by jules22 »

I have owned lots of cordless tools and use them daily, makita I rate highly. Ryobi I do not .

I have no first hand experience of cordless sanders.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Lidl do it be?
Rupert
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Bosch for the win...

I have a 13 year old battery drill from them, and it's still going strong, even on its original battery...

I used to swear by B&Q own brand stuff.. dirt cheap and with a no quibble warranty, but the last jigsaw I bought from them is awful... it wanders all over the place...
Matt

Int Moth K2992
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Ryobi is poor. Jig saw only lasted ayear.

Green Bosch gear has been good for me.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

realnutter wrote:Bosch for the win...

I have a 13 year old battery drill from them, and it's still going strong, even on its original battery...

normally I would agree, but my Bosch drill has been pretty poor from the begining. I call it Mr Pathetic :)

Seems that there are more than one grade. mine is the lowest.

Makita are ace, my cordless drill is still going strong after 20 odd years.

I've been pleasantly surprised by a lidl 'Parkray' multitool. It's been doing sterling work for quite a while now and as long as I change the saw blades every so often, still cuts fine.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

You so often just get what you pay for. But then every now and again you get a bargain or a disaster. It is really hard to tie reliability/quality to make, but pretty easy to align it to price.

I have never had a bad Blue Bosch tool, but they are so damned expensive and even they die in the end.

My Makita combi drill is doing well and was pretty well priced....

Ryobi, I had something that was OK, (strimmer I think) I can't remember what, thought it would be OK to buy a Ryobi chopsaw. Wish I hadn't. Total pants. Use it now to cut up firewood/kindling, about the only thing it is good for.

I think the only make that I would not consider is Black'n'Decker, Just about everything of theirs I have had has been crap. I once destroyed an orbital sander in under a day's use. Thing simply melted. I complained and they said. Oh, you shouldn't use it for longer than 5-10mins at a time, and it was only designed to last for 30 hours or something. Gave me new one, did the same within a few hours use.

Sanders are especially hard though, and we had this discussion a while ago. They are like jigsaws,there really is a big difference between the good ones and the bad ones. I have a couple of crap cheapo palm sanders, that I use, but they are crap and you do need to take care as the buzzing can really do weird things to your hands.

Looking forwards to hearing more about the FF, Grahams?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Perhaps an entry for "they don't make them like they used to" but we built our mirror dinghy in 1972 using a Black and Decker metal cased two speed (used a gearbox) drill that is still working. It was not new then! Its a bit noisy, bit rattly, but still works. Changed the brushes a couple of times over the years. I only keep it because it attaches to various bits of kit e.g. a router, a small wood lathe / pillar drill and a tool sharpener.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

jpa_wfsc wrote:Perhaps an entry for "they don't make them like they used to" but we built our mirror dinghy in 1972 using a Black and Decker metal cased two speed (used a gearbox) drill that is still working. It was not new then! Its a bit noisy, bit rattly, but still works. Changed the brushes a couple of times over the years. I only keep it because it attaches to various bits of kit e.g. a router, a small wood lathe / pillar drill and a tool sharpener.

I've got one of them too. works well, if as you say, a bit rattly. Dad told me that he was told, back in the 70's that B&D had built in obscelence as standard and were'nt worth the money, unless you were willing to throw the thing away sooner rather than later. Even if it lasted, you would suddenly find that spares/blades etc were unobtainable - discontinued lines.

my entry for the "they don't make them like they used to" category is an electric 'Tarplaner' that Dad bought s/h back in the mid- sixties and used for roughing down spar timbers and the like. It weight around 20Kg and it built in heavy aluminium. It's a wonderfull piece of UK engineering. If you do a lot of heavy woodwork its worth getting one - they come up on ebay every now and again - £50 well spent imo.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Spoke to my old crew about rechargeable tools. He rates Ryobi even though his business used to sell Makita. So in looks like it's a Ryobi with an out sourced 4aH battery and charger, Whole deal £135. Given the choice and means of delivering compressed air I would use air tools every time. Thanks for everyone feed back time to burn out the B&D detail sander again. Due to it's low wattage I can get some time out of it using a portable power station. The trouble with Bosch is that they don't make a 12.5cm random rechargeable orbital sander only a detail sander.
Cheers Alan
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Ryobi Sander has arrived tried it out on the Plymouth Dolphin in the garage. Run time continuously 40 minutes, works like a charm, guaranteed for 2yrs.
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

We have a Ryobi battery drill at the school where i work & its quite good, their jigsaw isnt! it has a design fault where if you are on its right hand side all the dust blasts straight up into your face from the cooling fan slots, horrible thing.
Best tools i have are a Bosch jigsaw bought new in 1983 & still going, Makita are good & Metabo.
With regard to old metal cased tools like Tarplaner (had one of those, great tool) and Wolf & Black & decker, many of these are still in service due to high build quality but by now their electrical wiring (often rubber covered) may be getting distinctly dodgy. If you ever use one use an RCD otherwise you run a goodly chance of getting fried.