Swift restoration

share hints, tips and experiences
PeterV

Re: Swift restoration

Post by PeterV »

I have some areas of delamination on the hulls. I've read a few times on here of different methods of dealing with this, it seems injection isn't very successful, I thought just brushing epoxy as far into the gap as I could would suffice. Does the panel agree?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

It depends on the extent of the delamination. I have had great success with injection on small areas and have little faith in just brushing in. For larger areas there is no alternative to cutting away and new laminates. Injection wont work properly without stapling after the epoxy has gone in and ,of course you need a second vent hole or it doesn't find its way all the way in. Gaps between planks CAN be cured by just brushing on . Timberseal PS comes inti its own here.
Just for the record I do not work for Reactive Resins!!
Sam
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Thanks Sam, I've got some Timberseal PS now so soon I'll be putting that on. Most of the delaminated areas are also cracked along the veneers so I think there's plenty of opportunities for the resin to get in.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Timberseal went on today, and it's certainly taking its time drying. I managed to sand back all the grey areas of wood but the black marks, scars and patches are all on show. I've never seen a varnished Prout cat before so as she's obviously been varnished since new I'll keep a varnished finish. But that's a way off yet!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Don't get despondent if it seems to take forever. Assuming you can keep above about 5c it should go off in up to 48 hrs or less. I lost temp on a coat last Friday and it was still slightly tacky on Wednesday!! Good as gold as soon as it warmed up a bit. Confidence is the key
Sam
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Looks OK, not quite hard yet but going that way. It seems to have firmed up the flexible areas a lot so there should only be a little more filling of the cracks to go.

[imgImage][/img]
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looking great.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Next job is putting some sort of preservative on the inside of the hulls. I've got the decks off one hull and first need to clear out the mice nest and do some sanding down. I had wondered about using Danboline but wonder if a clear finish might be better so that I can still see what's going on with the wood. On the other hand once the decks are back on I'm not going to be able to see very much of it. What do you think I should use, I thought of Danboline, International Woodskin or G4?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
diana

Post by diana »

She's looking great. Sorry about the mice nests!
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I assume every project has a low point and I think this is mine.
I'm glad I did the outside of the hulls first as all I seem to have been doing since is destroying and sanding, with a lot more sanding to go before I can start rebuilding.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

PeterV wrote:What do you think I should use, I thought of Danboline, International Woodskin or G4?
Just regular exterior gloss paint will do an excellent job as you should only be worrying about occasional wetness, and there will be zero UV damage.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

One of the biggest jobs to tackle has been the main beam which at some point has been cut back and just looked ugly.

Having tried to work out some way of grafting new pieces in I decided to take the whole thing out.

And now I've replaced it with a new piece of wood.

As always, thinking about it was much harder than doing it in the end!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

That looks great! Getting the ends to tuck in under the gunwale strips must have been tricky....
Matt

Int Moth K2992
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Fortunately no trickery required, just my usual level of wood butchery and bodging!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Robbins Elite has now arrived so the redecking can start. I just wish there weren't so many to do!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash