How long should I wait....?

share hints, tips and experiences
XQSME

How long should I wait....?

Post by XQSME »

Good afternoon all.

I am at last beginning to see the end of my amateur restoration project. I expect to put the last coat of varnish on the hull on Thursday or Friday this week.

How long then should I expect to impatiently wait before I can safely turn my Albacore the right way up to start on the interior , without causing harm to the newly varnished hull?

Thanks
T
1965 Albacore No 1775 "XQSME"
previous = 1962 Wayfarer W170 "Peter Pan"
Flying Fifteen
Twister
JimC

Re: How long should I wait....?

Post by JimC »

It depends on what surface you are turning here onto I think, but I'd say 24 hours after you can no longer mark a thick bit of varnish with a fingernail.
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

Thanks Jim... Turning her over to sit back on the trailer, I can I suppose use the make shift cushions she is sitting on now to sit between hull and trailer.

However that's fantastic news , MUCH earlier than I expected...I had thought perhaps a week or two until the varnish is hard enough. Great!

T
Flying Fifteen
Twister
JimC

Post by JimC »

XQSME wrote:Thanks Jim... Turning her over to sit back on the trailer, I can I suppose use the make shift cushions she is sitting on now to sit between hull and trailer.

However that's fantastic news , MUCH earlier than I expected...I had thought perhaps a week or two until the varnish is hard enough. Great!

T
Umm, I'm rethinking that. I thought I'd not hit post on that... I thought again and decided that I hadn't tried enough variations to be really sure. I'd give it several days if I possibly could. Also see what the paint manufacturer says. You may also find that getting to the "not marking with a fingernail" stage takes rather longer than you think.
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

so, Who thinks 7 days should be enough time? Trying to schedule the rest of my waking life around having my hands on the boat!
Flying Fifteen
Twister
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

7 days minimum, I'd say, or you end up with bits of fluff embedded off the cushions, or worse. If in doubt, wait.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

This is definitely one of those situations where the Spartan method works quite well...

Leave her out on the mountain side, well in the back garden anyway and give her a bit of sun.

About a week should do it, and like most classical children raised by wolves in this manner, she'll be ready to kill you before the summer is up.
Michael Brigg
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

duly noted!!

So, I gave the hull a tap with a fingernail this morning on the way out...It certainly felt and sounded hard..Is that good enough do you think?
Flying Fifteen
Twister
JimC

Post by JimC »

XQSME wrote:duly noted!!

So, I gave the hull a tap with a fingernail this morning on the way out...It certainly felt and sounded hard..Is that good enough do you think?
No, don't think that tells you anything. If you find a thick bit of varnish and try and mark it with a fingernail then if its still soft then the varnish will dent, and you can be sure that marks will be left if you put any weight on the finish. If it doesn't take a fingernail mark then that's a good sign that its well on the way.
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

Ok Jim . I'll spend a while poking all the thick varnish I can find!
Flying Fifteen
Twister