Harrier+ wood replacement.

share hints, tips and experiences
Southern377

Harrier+ wood replacement.

Post by Southern377 »

Anyone had to replace the wooden block at the base of the mast support into which the control blocks are screwed? Don't want to start blindly hacking the rotten one out without knowing how it is attached. My guess is it was simply glassed in place and the plan is to carefully remove it in small pieces and epoxy in a replacement. Or do we go mad and fabricate and add an aluminium plate into which or through which the block eye plates are bolted. Not a great lover of screwing fittings in with wood screws when they can be bolted down! They always seem to uproot themselves at an inconvenient moment!

Alan.

Harrier+ 05
West Solent Scow 148
JimC

Re: Harrier+ wood replacement.

Post by JimC »

Is that where the kicking strap end anchors? I remember the fitting pulling out of rotten wood (screws in tension - uggghh) and being quite disgusted at the whole setup. I through bolted replacement anchor point right through the floor, I wasn't altogether happy with that but no sensible alternative occurred to me.
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Yes Jim. It's the kicking strap that keeps leaping out even after being re-positioned to find a slightly less dubious anchorage.

Have emailed Keith Callaghan for more information and his suggestions but he was at Salcombe Week and is touring with the Hadron H2s, so it might take a while before we get a reply.

Alan.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Well, were I doing one again I'd bolt through the floor again... Inelegant but the only mechanically sound solution I could come up with short of doing something really extreme like fabricating a post or bulkhead up to the base of the mast.