Newbie GP14 Restoration

share hints, tips and experiences
lawrence_craig

Newbie GP14 Restoration

Post by lawrence_craig »

Hi all,

I recently bought an old GP14 MK2. Did a water test on her and looks like she needs some work in terms of making her watertight. I was wondering if you could help me. There are 2 major leaks I can see (photos attached)

1 on the bow
1 on the stern

I've stripped back the bow leak but cant find the source. The leak on the stern comes from rot I believe.

I have Marine epoxy and sealant. I am also going to have to clearly repaint parts.

My plan was to scrape away the paint in the affected areas (paint scrapper and white spirit). Remove the rot. Then fill it with epoxy. Sand it down to an even surface (hand or mechanical sander) and then repaint it (international paint).

I'm new to wooden boats so please advise if I should change my plan or if there are any other materials I should be using.

Many thanks,
Lawrence

Bow Leak, stripped back

Stern Leak 1

Stern Leak 2
STEVEB

Re: Newbie GP14 Restoration

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,

That plan would get you back on the water though probably not for very long!

If you are serious about fixing this dinghy then you need to strip off all the paint off the hull, and then leave it to dry
out for a few months. Then cut out all the damaged timber ans scarf + epoxy glue in new bits.

Alternatively pick up a cheap fibreglass hull and transfer the rig, move yours to the club bonfire.

Good luck

Steve :evil:
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
lawrence_craig

Post by lawrence_craig »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I love wooden boats so would be against scrapping her.

I think your plan sounds reasonable. Do you have any resources suitable for learning how to scarf and epoxy? I have a rough idea, but always better to go by something.

Thanks,
Lawrence
TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

Here y' go Lawrence,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 9880,d.d24

...and this too is a very readable guide to evaluating and restoring a Wayfarer but they're all built in like manner and most importantly gives it to you straight...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 9880,d.bGg

I found this a very concise encapsulation of what the prospective ply dinghy restorer is letting themselves in for including how to decide whether it's actually worth committing an unknowable amount of time and expense to the exercise in the first place or whether it really is fit only for kindling. Do it right and resist any temptation to bodge or use unsuitable (but cheaper) alternatives would be the sum of my advice.

For some reason your pics aren't showing in my browser?
...well if it was easy everybody would have one.
roger

Post by roger »

Ok I will be honest with you.

Your boat is in a bit of a mess. The more you dig the more problems you will find. I think you have a seriously big project on your hands. It will take months and you will probably end up replacing a huge amount of the boat.
If the frames are ok then it will be nearly all the ply skin and if there is water ingress into the hog and around the centreboard case there could well be a lot of rot there.

If you want to go sailing then find another cheap boat.
If you want to rebuild her then prepare yourself for lots of work and expense which you will not recover.

I wish you the best and please prove me wrong and post pictures of the rebuild.

ps there are lots of wooden boats in better condition just begging for TLC on these pages and on ebay.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

Really would like to see this GP, could the pics be re-posted or linked somehow? Can't see diddly.
...well if it was easy everybody would have one.