Adjustable centreboard bolt in 1996 devoti Finn ?

share hints, tips and experiences
fergusallan

Adjustable centreboard bolt in 1996 devoti Finn ?

Post by fergusallan »

I am contemplating putting an adjustable c/b bolt in a 1996 Devoti Finn. Has anybody done this job ? It looks like a real pain with almost no access from either side due to the raise floor. Anybody tried this or got any hints or tips ?
PeterV

Re: Adjustable centreboard bolt in 1996 devoti Finn ?

Post by PeterV »

I did it in mine, same year as yours. It's a bit of a fiddle because of the double floor but I marked it out first with a felt pen then used a round file to cut back to the mark. Because of my weight I leave it in the aft position and a piece of plastic cut from a container and some sealant has kept it watertight.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
fergusallan

Post by fergusallan »

Thanks Peter. Much appreciated.
fergusallan

Post by fergusallan »

So here are another couple of comments after job was completed,

1/ diameter of bolt in suntouched adjustable cb bolt fitting is 9.8mm
2/ Use a round file with OD 10mm
3/ Cut/snap round file down to a length short enough so that you can get it through the existing hole and then just work it side to side until you achieve the desired position. A bit tedious but it is metal on fibreglass so it does go.
4/ Check the rules & measure every now & then to make sure you are not bringing the cb aft beyond the allowed measurement
5/ It has been well worth doing. The boat balance is much improved.

Next question

Has anybody every repaired/resealed the drainage tube which goes from just in front of the cb case to just behind the mast step ? I need to do some investigations but I am pretty sure mine is leaking. Any hints & tips ?

Fergus
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Yes Fergus, I've done that as well!
Remove the mast step. Cut the old fittings off using a knife, the internal bits just get lost inside somewhere (I thought they'd make themselves visible somewhere eventually but 5 years later mine haven't. Get 2 Allen drain sockets of the right size (I cannot remember what type, it's on the old Finn forum, but they're the 3 hole type and I think they're 1" diameter). Get a 1" piece of pipe cut a little over length, heat it in hot water then force it over one fitting. Fit a piece of wire through the 2 holes to help guide the hose through then feed the hose through from the front and fit the socket in place with self tappers and a little silicone to seal it. Then comes the difficult part, pour hot water over the protruding piece of pipe at the aft end, force the pipe over the socket then fix the after socket in the same way as the first. It's a pain of a job but mines lasted 5 years so far.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash