Centreboard case not true

share hints, tips and experiences
witchcraft

Centreboard case not true

Post by witchcraft »

My ancient Hornet needed a new centreboard. I shook the money tree and contacted Milanes they asked me the width of the case and the width and shape of the old board. The case was 25mm wide along the top and the board 24.5mm at the pivot (gybing board) they supplied a superb replacement (non gybing).

It doesn't fit. The case tapers towards the keel from 25mm at the crewdeck level to 21-20.5mm at the keel. Rob at Milanes (who has been brilliant) has taken the foil down to around 23mm but can't go any narrower as he is hitting the glass now. I think this is just a poorly made (Goodwin kit) Hornet case, I can't see any rot on pictures taken of the inside of the case (it sits under a crewdeck-buoyancy tank or see anything damp externally.

Simple question, can I sand out 1.5mm from the lower part of the case and then reproof it (epoxy?). If so any hints or tips, failing that have I just bought the doings of a nice nautical themed coffee table. :-(

Scrappy case internal measurements attached
Attachments
Scan.pdf
(23.78 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Last edited by witchcraft on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornet K1798 Vermiscious Knid

(And RS Vareo 572 )
Aquarius

Re: Centreboard case not true

Post by Aquarius »

What's keeping the water from wetting the sides of the case now? Paint, epoxy, nothing much?

I'd say "yes, you can easily lose that much", but you would really need to lose a bit more.

Centreboard cases are funny things.
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"
witchcraft

Post by witchcraft »

Its currently coated with old varnish - thanks

(And RS Vareo 572 )
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

Thinking about this, the wringing load imposed on the case whilst sailing upwind is taken by the crewdeck at the top of the case and by the keel/hog structure at the bottom of the case, with not that much load coming on anywhere else. So, since the keel/hog structure is massively strong, it ought to be OK to cut back a few mm on the case sides at the bottom... enough to get the new board in happily and with space to coat the new thinner sides with epoxy...?
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"
witchcraft

Post by witchcraft »

Yup - thats the plan, I wanted the sanity check you have just provided.

(And RS Vareo 572 )
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Do you know the thickness of the sides of the plate case? I don't know anything hornet specific but could it be 4mm ply with stiffening? If so, chopping out 1.5mm or so might not be a good idea.
Do a proper job and put a new case in it!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Trying it loses you little. If it works, you'll be able to fit the board. If not, you'll need to build the new case you'd have had to build as Chalky suggests, and get a true fit.

Pretty sure most of us will have had this problem at some point. Even if you measure top and bottom, you can then find it bows in the middle!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

If this was Duncan Nicholson’s old boat Super Zonker the case was a diamond shaped as was that of the original Revolution. The boards for them were made specially ( custom), to gybe in the case.
Alan Williams Horneteer for nearly 40 years.
witchcraft

Post by witchcraft »

alan williams wrote:If this was Duncan Nicholson’s old boat Super Zonker the case was a diamond shaped as was that of the original Revolution. The boards for them were made specially ( custom), to gybe in the case.
Alan Williams Horneteer for nearly 40 years.
Thanks Alan, mine was just slightly warped (sadly) since been sanded true and epoxied and it works fine. You should be able to see it at the Saturday of the B'Sea Hornet open and at Stone for the Nat's

(And RS Vareo 572 )
JimC

Post by JimC »

I fear you should do the job properly and get a new board that fits...