Finn buoyancy

share hints, tips and experiences
bicrider

Finn buoyancy

Post by bicrider »

Having just bought a Raudaschl Finn it has the four buoyancy bags 2 by the plate and 2 at the back. I have been told it worth getting a bag for the bow. All the sail controls are in front of the mast so I take the bag must go up in past the mast. Has anybody any ideas how it is secured and what size bag is the best?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Chris Baker

Finn K333
Dart 18 5054
Topper 41558
Faded yellow Pico
PeterV

Re: Finn buoyancy

Post by PeterV »

Chris,
I've know that 4 bags will not be enough, but I don't know how you get a bag in front of the mast as it's quite a small space! I think you'd have more success putting a bag either side under the foredeck aft of the mast.
Well done on getting your Raudaschl, they were a very good Finn.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
My Vanguard has an inflated car interior tube stuffed in the bow forward of the mast,

Cheers Al
bicrider

Post by bicrider »

Thanks for the advice having just had a look at my Finn it does have 6 bags. The boat is not kept at home so had to wait I was down. It does have the normal 4 bags plus 2 that end level with the mast these are 150 lbs each giving me a total of 700lbs of buoyancy how does that stack up?
Chris Baker

Finn K333
Dart 18 5054
Topper 41558
Faded yellow Pico
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'm sure mine had 4 under the side skirts, seem to remember a small one stuffed in the bow. Not sure if there's any detail at https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinghies/ ... 0773229496

Don't think I capsized this one. The bouyancy in my Fairey did get tested in Bristol and Clywedog. Peter's early advice of a bucket was essential.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
nickfinn

Post by nickfinn »

Holt produced a small triangular buoyancy bag (white) which needs to be tied DOWN to the front of the mast step - so that the bag displaces water aft when the boat is righted. The bag is not much use tied up to the foredeck.

Then two ultra large diameter bags are secured under the foredeck - again tied down to the floor- again to displace water aft when the boat is righted.

Thinner rear buoyancy bags are required by the width of the side decks.

After righting the boat sit/ hike aft on the rear side deck, before pulling main sheet in get the self bailers/aft flaps to drain the cockpit, gently bearing off onto a beam reach. Then back onto the run, when the cockpit is nearly empty.

The above worked extremely well with a wooden taylor - a developed Raudaschl. With a bit of practice you will not need a bucket, unless it is light airs. Practice the above to be sure you can rescue yourself. Make sure your mast step is strong.

Nick

Various Finns from a Pearson to a Devoti over 35 years.
cweed

Post by cweed »

Very interesting, Nick.

So are old Pearsons with the bow buoyancy tank relatively 'safe' when capsized, or do they do a nosediving experience?

Thanks!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The boat in the garden has four buoyancy bags laced in behind canvas flaps. I have taken them out because there was water behind them. Just this post has told me I don’t want to keep another boat where I need a bucket - all my buckets are busy in Aggie and the Wayfarer, the Taylor Finn doesn’t need a bucket. I hope.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

[quote="Nessa"the Taylor Finn doesn’t need a bucket. I hope.[/quote]

No - it will probably come up with a dryer floor than before the capsize... almost too buoyant.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

As it has a double bottom your Fairey would prob come up drier than most boats of its age... Might want some addittional bouyancy up front though
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
Finnsailor

Post by Finnsailor »

I struggled to sort out bow buoyancy for my first rejuvenation project. There is not sufficient room to fit a buoyancy bag that would be effective in the event of a capsize. I managed to fit a buoyancy tank in front of the mast on my Fairey. Although not a massive tank it provided enough buoyancy to keep the bow up following a capsize. I an the process of reviving a 1957 Jeremy Rogers Finn at the moment and aim to do the same again.

A double bottom is really hard to achieve, with integrity. I found the four buoyancy bags were plenty to keep the dryish following a capsize. I did not bother with the transom flaps just used the bailer.

Martin
Martin Hughes
1957 Jeremy Rogers Finn K192
1956 Fairey Finn K17
2004 modern Devoti Finn: GBR567