International Canoe K89? Back on ebay.

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael Brigg

International Canoe K89? Back on ebay.

Post by Michael Brigg »

I've been fascinated by this boat for a few years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Internationa ... 0011.m1850

She has a chequered history. Started out as a sky-blue coulor and then got driven through a hedge. Was in Max MaCarthy's hands, and also Mike Bridgewater. Neither of whom seem to post much here anymore. Was very well repaired but now seems to be on hard times again after an uncovered winter. There is a significant hole on the Port bow rubbing stake and she may need some skilled repair work as the bow looks to be badly watermarkes and possibly moving towards delamination.

The owner comments that the sliding seat "doesn't fit" but it looks to me as though a new seat carriage has been built that has not understood that the sliding seat has a curvature as the seat carriage appears to have a flat profile,... so the seat inevitaby will jam up. So... new carriage or rebuild of this area is needed.

Sadly no video to show performance and with a "Cathedral" style bow, but I would expect it might generate alot of lift but at the cost of lots of spray and splash.

Also an interesting rig with no spreaders, (Rotating mast?) and upper diamonds

Instability is of course a given, that's what most canoe sailors enjoy.

So is she worth more work? Certainly a fun boat to learn the ropes, but in her present condition £300 looks a bit hopeful unless being broken up for spares. Likely she is a ton overweight and non competetive but nevertheless a good trainer for someone. THe Fleet is looking for ways of attracting newer younger faces to the sport and maybe this boat has a future if the design was "grandfathered."
Michael Brigg
ent228

Re: International Canoe K89? Back on ebay.

Post by ent228 »

I'd very much like this boat and am just up the road in Totnes. I can't afford the price at the moment, but I've made him an offer if it does not sell.

I haven't sailed ICs since the early 80s and it would be nice to relive my mis-spent youth......
jpa_wfsc

Re: International Canoe K89? Back on ebay.

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Michael Brigg wrote:I've been fascinated by this boat for a few years.

The owner comments that the sliding seat "doesn't fit" but it looks to me as though a new seat carriage has been built that has not understood that the sliding seat has a curvature as the seat carriage appears to have a flat profile,... so the seat inevitaby will jam up. So... new carriage or rebuild of this area is needed.

Also an interesting rig with no spreaders, (Rotating mast?) and upper diamonds

Likely she is a ton overweight and non competetive but nevertheless a good trainer for someone. THe Fleet is looking for ways of attracting newer younger faces to the sport and maybe this boat has a future if the design was "grandfathered."
The hull had been rebuilt a few times - this became apparent after the tow bar broke and she went through a hedge. The floor was two sheets of ply in places, glued together with epoxy filler. The repairs following the accident were certainly well done, but can only have added to the weight.

There are comments elsewhere about her hull form not meeting the rules due to hollow sections - but I am sure that there were none. It may even be the added ply was done to fill out some hollows?

The seat was working. As then, is now - the seat guide seems to be wider (fore and aft) than the actual seat. I think you had to put the seat in from one side, not the other, it would then work OK. It definitely was not the right seat for the boat (it looks like a standard nethercott one).

Yes a very odd mast - but not rotating, at least, not on the canoe. It could have originated on another class?

Should anyone be interested I'd be happy to forward photos of the damaged hull - I'm not going to post them on the internet tho I think that might be unfair.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.