Trolley tyres

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

Trolley tyres

Post by Michael4 »

For those of us with heavier boats...

My experience is that puncture proof trolley tyres/wheels seem to deform when the boat is too heavy. While at rest they get squashed flat at the bottom and the top becomes loose.

Unless someone has found some better ones...?

Inflatable trolley tyres seem to have got very thin and can burst in hot weather or puncture on a rocky foreshore. I guess they are related to wheelbarrow tyres.

Does anyone sell trolley tyres that have more plys (plies?) than normal?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
bornagainmothie

Re: Trolley tyres

Post by bornagainmothie »

I agree most trolley tyres are not as strong as they used to be.

How about using the trailer road tyres instead? They are usually 6ply and can be fitted to trolley wheel centres easily by hand / cycle tyre levers / best cutlery etc. The rolling radius is slightly larger than standard trolley tyres but would only be a problem if the cradle is very close to the wheel.
just as an example....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-4-80-4-00 ... rk:19:pf:0
Jon Rawson

Post by Jon Rawson »

Six ply tyres can be quite tough to fit. Four ply should be a bit easier. A pair of worn out tyres from a road trailer would be softer still and easier to lever over plastic rims. They would still last for ages on a trolley. Cheaper too.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

If you want thicker tougher tyres you are best advised to get "Lawn Tyres." (As used for sit on mowers or miniature garden tractors. These can be 16,18, or even 20 inch dimeter and can be quickly found on ebay for @£30 - 60 a pair. (If you are lucky you might even find some used ones at £10 -£20. )

Like these:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KENDA-SUPER- ... jNenAkHMnQ

You will need the old wheel hubs (the red plastic ones) and a pair of inner tubes in good condition as they will be put under some strain when fitting

These are between 6 - 8 inches thickness of tread, and most importantly 8inch inner diameter.

You will also need a couple of big leavers/ Screw drivers or a friend at Kwik Fit as fitting can be a it of a fight!

The tyres are oversized for the plastic hub but as long as you are using it just as a launch trolly this is no problem but do check the thicher tyre will fit between the axle and the boat cradle before you pay for the 16 or 18inch tyre. (Most dinghy trolleys are 14 - 15 inch diameter!)

You will now ride over shingle and sand :lol:
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Thanks for the ideas, I need to see what space I have between tyre and launching bars/guides or whatever they are called.
Tideway 206
11+
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

I’ve had similar issues with new trolley wheels only lasting a few months.... I’ve replaced them with some very old ones off an old trolley, these are lasting better but are so old a cracked they can’t last that long....

I’d been thinking about getting these.... any thoughts on them?

http://www.merseatrailers.com/product_d ... -8-HS-TYRE
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

That's exactly what I was suggesting Keith, but the ready made article. I didn't realise they were available like that!

A little more expensive to buy off the shelf than converting existing trolley wheels but you get shiny new wheels without bending your best cutlery. Seems like a good deal :)
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

I'll try and find out the overall diameter of these, they look like a good solution.
Tideway 206
11+
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

Yes they look good to me, not tried them or looked at the size or spec in any detail yet... hoping they be an easy swap for standard ones....
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

did you have any joy with these?

Had two trolley tyres burst over the weekend in the sun, on different trolleys. Fed up with cheap inner tubes and tyres.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

In the end they wouldn't fit because they would foul my launching bars (or whatever you would call the poles on either side of the trolley that I have made to make it easier to launch and retrieve with a strong cross tide).

I am using ancient cracked trolley tyres pumped up to around 10 psi. Gives them a chance to expand before exploding.
Tideway 206
11+