Awkward stringer repair

share hints, tips and experiences
GP14 2629

Awkward stringer repair

Post by GP14 2629 »

The gp14 stringers and chine rails run between the plywood and the ribs, through notches in the bottom of the ribs. There are some rotten patches where the stringers run underneath the ribs and water sits in the angle. I am scarfing in short new sections of stringer but am unsure how to thread them under the ribs. The ribs and plywood are in good condition.

1) Could cut a section out of the rib, insert new stringer, stick the rib back together over the top

2) could cut the new stringer so there is a scarf joint at the rib location, slide the two ends of stringer under from opposite sides so they meet underneath the rib.

3) could cut a window out of the bottom plywood, insert new stringer from below the rib, patch the plywood.

How would the forum approach this? Thanks!
PeterV

Re: Awkward stringer repair

Post by PeterV »

I'm not an expert but I think I'd try the second option, if this didn't work I think the ply panel would need cutting out to get access but the problem with this approach is that the stringer will tend to lie straight rather than curved, so I think I'd try hard to get the stringers repaired without taking any ply out.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
GP14 2629

Post by GP14 2629 »

Well I ended up cutting the new stringer sections lengthwise and across, so I had 4 pieces to thread under the ribs, then reassemble with epoxy. The hardest part was to match the curve of the plywood.
Thanks Peter!
GP14 2629

Post by GP14 2629 »

Maybe worth recommending an oscillating multi tool with a plunge cut saw blade.

By cutting the new stringer section lengthwise, I could offset the left half from the right half so the cross cuts didn't line up and all the bits lapped against each other. This meant sculpting a complex shape in the ends of the original stringer that I was joining into, would have taken me ages to do it with a chisel, but the multi tool made short work of it.