A bit on the wild side

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael Brigg

A bit on the wild side

Post by Michael Brigg »

A whim made me type "classic Sheawater" into ebay and came up with this. The local sailing club (Stokes Bay) used to sail them and as I have been laid up this past 3 months with a gardening injury (Prolapsed Disc) I am getting rather board and this reminded me of being given various Airfix models to aid my convalescence from measles. I think it was Scharnhorst.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bauplan-fern ... SwYVlZ~csL

...fortunately, what with it being only 10.00am I was sober enough not to click any further.(although this one click" paypal system is a devil if you want to avoid an unwise purchase!)

There is however a model yacht club in Gosport that use the old Lido so I may still be tempted. :lol: :?
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Re: A bit on the wild side

Post by Michael4 »

Of interest maybe? That Shearwater kit looks fun.

http://www.vmyg.org.uk/index.htm

In the attic I have a lovely carvel built keelboat signed by E Bostock of Wallasey. It is around 3ft long and probably from the 30s/40s/50s?. I had thought to restore it but suspect it is best left. On one side the varnish has crazed as if it were left in a window for many years. All the rigging is there, more or less, even spinny and pole. Bought it from a sandwich shop on Minshull Street Manchester many years ago.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi Michael,

Pictures please. Definately worth a good restoration as well. A genuine antique radio controlled or original self tacking yacht pushed about with a pole in good nick can go for £2-3 hundred or more. :shock:

Left to deteriorate in the attic it runs the risk of avoiding the skip at the next house move. :cry:

Bring it down, dust it off and give us some pictures to see what you've got! :)
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Once my back has improved I will send a search party into the attic in an attempt to capture said item.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Micheal
I brought the model Shearwater plans. Whether I build one or not depends on my translation skills. I haven’t spoken German for 43 years.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Well done Alan, I expect to see it on the water this summer and then could I borrow the plans and next year we'll have a race!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash