Just a thought

General chat about boats
Garry R

Just a thought

Post by Garry R »

Just in case....... I feel I should say goodbye as I received this in an email this morning and it set me thinking.......

"Third, fourth or nth?
Apparently "they" are confident that when they switch on the particle collider (AKA Large Hadron Collider.) at CERN it will not bring about the end of the world in a new Big Bang tomorrow.
That may well have been what scientists were saying before they switched on the last one 14billion years ago or so?"

Having said all that probably see you all around the CVRDA tomorrow......
Nigel

Re: Just a thought

Post by Nigel »

Large Hadron Collider.... That's a boat name that should win you a bit of room on the start line :).

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ah, well, doesn't matter if I left the gas on now, then...?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Who needs CERN? Scientists should be told that most of us have discovered a "." that appears instantaneously in the wallet on entering the space around the local boatyard or chandlery.
Michael Brigg
ACB

Post by ACB »

How very, very true! :)

Mind you, background radiation in the form of blocks with no known purpose, shackles wither bent or pin-less, dead sails, orphan battens, tins of paint, bronze screws ("some new") dead winter covers, varnish brushes and so on usually continues at the back of the garage...

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Large Hadron Collider.... That's a boat name that should win you a bit of room on the start line
Problem is it would have to be French and a little at odds with the English who had the original idea/design.

Also crewed (or powered by) someone very small, very powerful and very explosive.

Apparently though the end product of the collision is some sort of Bosun. (I know, sorry a boson.) Just as well they have rubber noses.
Michael Brigg
CJR1100

Post by CJR1100 »

Might be a good idea, for a day off and go sailing.
Chris Roberts
Merlin Rocket 3330
Merlin Rocket 2932
Merlin Rocket 2352
National 12 2332(RIP)
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

It is interesting to reflect that the CERN is very probably designed and built by men.

Any of you who are aware of, or even possess, a "Hotwheels Accellerator track" designed along similar lines to CERN will be like me surprised that in tandem with Professor Otto Rossler the maker of Mattel toys have not slapped a legal writ on the device for breach of patent!
Elliott's Cool Hot Wheels Track
We finally got around to opening one of Elliott's christmas gifts. Its a hot wheels track. They are making kids toys so awesome nowadays that it makes it impossible for adults not to have fun with them too. hehe.. Anyway the idea behind this track is to launch your car into the outer track that has a motor that keeps the car moving round and round the track at a very high speed. Now the entire track also moves in a circle so when you line up the inner track with the track going into the air, you hit a button and it sends your car into the inner track and off the track knocking the brown cylinder off and continuing down out the back of the track. Very cool, and hours of fun!!
In contrast to this I came across this rather sweet picture:-

"What girls do with Hotwheels track."

Anyway I am sure the boys in CERN know what they're doing and they certainly show the same capability as our own navy to spend huge amounts of money on "important things" which they play with (mostly.)

Cern switches on tomorrow but doesnt get down to business for another 4 years while they warm up the participating particles. If it works they hare around the track 11,245 x per second in a kind of atomic Madison cycle race before an arranged pile up worthy of an olympic final, and according to the worthy Professor exponential growth of the Higgs Boson product will turn us all inside out about 4years later. :(

So assuming all is well I'll see you Tommorrr o o o o w w w !!? ...... . . . . . . .ppphhhhttttt!
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Michael Brigg
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Scare stories abound, just like that Millenium Bug con. I had numerous "de-buggers" trying to get me to part with £££££ to protect my computer. They wanted twice the cost of a new system! When told that I would merely back up a few days before "the day" then if it did go caput buy a new one and carry on they skidaddled.

Any way I have sold thousands of time capsules for people to live in for a couple of days so they can come out on Friday to a new world. Funny thing is these contraptions look very like a Police telephone box.

Good bye, cruel world and welcome to Eden.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Well it is alright so far.
Simples.
Steve

Post by Steve »

My son plays cricket at CERN. The Collider track runs directly under the pitch (which must give some scope for excuses for poor performance not yet used by the England Team)
Steve
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

BANG!!!!!!

God - "Well you dinghy sailors have got your water"

Dinghy sailor - "Yes, but it's very dark"

God - "Tomorrow, I'll let there be light!!"

Dinghy sailor - "What about a clubhouse - that would be heavenly?"

God - "Firmament etc is Day 2"

Dinghy sailor "But where do we launch from?"

God - "The land is due on day 3"

Dinghy sailor - "We're pretty keen on sunshine"

God - "On the list for Day 4"

Dinghy sailor - "A bit of wild life to watch in the flat calms would be grand"

God - "Sorted - Day 5 - (demanding lot these sailors)"

Dinghy sailor - "Any chance of a crew?"

God - " Ah yes the creeping creatures of the earth - almost forgot - day 6"

Dinghy sailor - "Any chance of doing Race Officer or Rescue Boat cover on Sunday?"

God - "Sorry Day 7 - that's my day off - besides your varnish isn't dry yet, your buoyancy isn't up to spec, the halyards are frayed, and the bailers are leaking. You've had a whole week to get on with it after all"

Dinghy sailor - "I was getting on fine until you made woman and now she wants me to cut the grass, look after the kids, go shopping, wash the car ........"

God - "Sorry!! Honestly - some people think I'm perfect"!!
Last edited by Garry R on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I was getting on fine until you made woman
See also "What girls do with Hotwheels track"

Has God re-made Mars and Venus yet?
Michael Brigg
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Well, we made it through the day here in the middle of Colchester, no black holes nor rapidly moving particles.

Now I must away home to see if that has been particulated and all that remains is my collection of ally masts and booms!
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith