Singlehanded challenge

General chat about boats
davidh

Re: Singlehanded challenge

Post by davidh »

Ed,

Mike Stroud, the Commodore at Netley (a very good racer and another ex wild man from the Hornets) is now a well established Phantom sailor. A couple of years ago, he went to Tim Coombs, the Hornet builder, for a 'down to weight, double floored wooden hull. It's a beauty and goes very well indeed, as it is rigged as per a 'state of the art' boat. Graham Scott had a go in it and reckoned it was as fast as the frp versions..... to say he was impressed is an understatement.

Tim C still has all the frames, yet beacuse he is not 'known' as a Phantom builder, no one has gone back to him to get the idea developed further. But it just shows what can be done if you're prepared to take the risk!!

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes Jim....I totally agree.

which was one of the main reasons a while ago, out of curiosity I went to the Phantom website and asked whether I could see/have a copy of the class rules including measurement......

told me I couldn't see em unless I paid up and became a member of the class association.

so didn't bother and went back to original plan of building an IC instead.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Silverwood

Post by Silverwood »

As a non member of the cvrda but an owner of Kestrel 169 (early 60s) I am complemtating my sailing activities for next year. I can update the Kestrel, or get a newer one, and enjoy occasional cvrda events as well as club racing. I am also in the market for a cheap single hander - at c. 15st the choice is between a Solo or a Phantom. I can get a competive solo, and be eligible for cvrda events, but be slow and overweight. I can get a cheap non competitive Phantom, (wood, 25 plus years old) and be non competive and underweight for handicap racing and potentially ineligible for cvrda events. Answers on a postcard please by end of Feb.... March is decision time - or earlier if work required on both boats!
PS - may consider a cheap GRP Albacore in lieu of a Kestrel upgrade...anyone know of any that may be available.....?
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

or you could get a Finn and have the best of both worlds :lol:
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Aren't you able to enjoy the best of both worlds in the Kestrel as well? If you were to put a new swet of sails on it then it would be very competitive in the CVRDa eventsa and quite competitive at club level as well.
And I second Neil, buy a Finn and you can do the same, good club racing and sail with the CVRDA as well.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Silverwood

Post by Silverwood »

Yes, I intend sailing the Kestrel two handed (unless I swap it for an albacore. The Kestrel needs updating and a new aluminium centreplate so reviewing my options at the moment) - but I also want a singlehander for when my crew is shopping or otherwise occupied! Would prefer something lighter to pull up the slipway and a higher boom than a Finn....
davidh

Post by davidh »

Silverwood,

and trust me on one thing..................... nobody get the **ss extracted like the Finn sailors. Besides, you write with interest and understanding, that disqualifies you from the outset!

15 st is a bad weight to be. Too big (really) for the Solo, Blaze, Supernova (a very sweet boat to sail and proof, if any were needed, that not all smods are bad), marginal for the phantom if the boat is to be sailed with a tin rig and not heavy enough for the Finn.

Does one starve and give up beer or else eat all the curries and pies one can, washed down with Michaels famed 'Red Barrel'?

I wish I knew the answer, then I'd know what I was sailing next summer (if anything at this rate)

D
David H
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Don't listen to David H!
The Finn gets around the course fast in all conditions!
It doesn't need more than 15 stone, at 12.5 I can still beat David in a blow!
The boom isn't too low, it goes up when you let the sheet out!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

At one time I've slagged the Finn off for all the reasons given above. I'm now on my Third Finn as after actually sailing the boat you will not find a better sit on single hander for heavy sailors especially up wind. What the boat does need is careful setting up for the conditions but these adjustments to be made easily. The Finn is a beautifully balanced boat when set up correctly. Finn sailors are also very friendly and helpful to new people joining the class.
Get Life get a Finn the other class does n't have a Ghost of a chance by comparison. Old Finns are also pretty quick for handicap racing and have alot of support in the CVRDA which cannot be said about the Phart boat.

Cheers AL W.
ps contact the class assoc. for a go or if you are close to Roadford come for a test sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Or if you are near Bedford you are welcome to come and try my ancient phart....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
ClassicPhantomMan

Post by ClassicPhantomMan »

To all those torn between various boats and their weight being a factor, let me say that 15 stone in a Phantom is considered to be ideal! The weight range of helms is 12½ stone to 19 stone, though better winds do tend to assist those of greater girth! But seeing a 13 stone young'un came 3rd in the recent Nationals in what was best described as seriously high winds, does show that the skill of the lump on the tiller can compensate for a barrel like physique.

The Classic Phantom is undergoing a revival at the moment, but it does lack events it can go to and being able to work in with the CVRDA would be a tremendous boost to the Class Association efforts. A question I often get asked is what is the difference between a 'Classic' and a 'modern' Phantom. They may look the same and measure the same where it matters, but they are like chalk and cheese. To the average helm, the Classic tends to weight in at 75 kgs whilst the FRP one weighs a mere 61 kgs. On handicap the Classic tend to run at 1060-70 whilst its FRP version is 1043. The Phantom fleet really comprises two fleets and the older one does not get a look in these days. It is estimated there are some 300 wooden boats which some years ago raced very competitively amongst themselves, but with the advent of the plastic boats, were eclipsed and allowed to fade away. They are ideal candidates for the CVRDA, though the later Classic Phantoms may not be the necessary 25 years of age, though many are. In the Phantom Association, any boat that has a sail number below 1100 and is made of wood is considered to be a 'Classic'. Some are younger than 25 years, but most are in excess of 12 years now.

Anyone wanting to know more, can either raise it through this forum or can contact me directly through the email link.

Mike - Phantom Classic Man
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

This seems to me to be a great idea and well worth developing; it would boost numbers and interest at some CVRDA events and also would give the phantoms some events to go to which would be fun sailing and a chance to exchange ideas with those from other classes who seem to me to be a fount of boat restoration knowledge!

I am happy to help organise this sort of thing. I also have a boat which, as Mike knows, I am happy to see used as a demo type boat to help promote the classic phantoms.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Is there anywhere where the Classic Phantoms are strong? I'm just thinking that if there are several in Kent who are interested, it wouldn't make much sense to hold the meeting in Devon...Once we know that, we need one of the cvrda 2009 meetings to offer to run a joint event, which we can also push for the lost classes to come out of the woodwork. Sound like a plan?
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

There is a nice phantom on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phantom-Sailing-D ... 90475553QQ

wish I had more money.... :cry:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess