1969; Forty Years On

General chat about boats
Rod

1969; Forty Years On

Post by Rod »

In writing my blog, a light went on that 1969 was a significant year in dinghy sailing history.

http://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... rs-on.html

With this forum chock full of historians, there must be other 1969 events that also should be noted.
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy
davidh

Re: 1969; Forty Years On

Post by davidh »

Rod,

You're right in supposing that a lot happened in 1969!

Two quite important boats (in their own way) hit the dinghy parks. Ian Proctors Typhoon and the S J Herbert designed Seafire. (Now here is a coincidence - both are well known handicap bandits..... and a well known 'banditeer' on the handicap scene has one of each behind his shed! Surely not one may say....)

In the end both boats came and went and would now be treated as 'lost' classes, a shame as they both tried to move the design philosophy of dinghies forward.

Not to be outdone, Peter Milne also got into the act with his Skipper 14. It is a matter of personal conjecture if the Skipper 14 (and 12) moved sailing forward or actually put it back.... but the boats sold in big numbers and still get traded on ebay today.

Other noteworthy moments...... Alan Warren and Barry Dunning win Merlins at Whitstable....along with the Silver Tiller (the shock horror was that Ancient Geek DIDn'T win it....) Larry Marks in 505s, Dereck Ide in Hornets and Peter and Christine Sandy in Fireballs.

Oh... and a noisy lad at netley won his first race (in a British Moth) and hasn't stopped telling the world about it!!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Oh, dear - the biggest event for me in 1969 was my 3rd birthday...
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

What interest me are the dinghy development 'milestones' eg, when the kicking strap first came into use, the first trapeze etc. Does such a time line exist?

(In 1969 my family came home from having lived in the Western sector of Berlin for four years. I was very upset because, despite having given my parents explicit instructions, they failed to wake me up to see the moon landing live on black and white tv. I have never forgiven them.)
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

Hi... the Moon Landing is not something I'll forget.... it was my birthday! (the TV audience of millions wasn't really for Nasa, but I let them share some of the glory!). Unlike Rupert, still in short trousers (he's STILL in Short Trousers!!) by 69 I was at work, in between sailing and throwing rocks at the American Embassy!

To answer the other question...YES.... there is indeed a timeline! It is my intention to make this one of the central 'features' of the Racing Dinghy Archive.
(the other being the Oral Histories)

It should be there now.....www.nrda.co.uk, then check for 'timeline' BUT.... following some of Nikky's excellent advice, I might have screwed things up a bit. Try later today and I hope it will be back on line.

If anyone else has any contributions for the Timeline (I think for instance the 1st glued ply Merlin deserves a mention) then please let me know.

Cheers

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa said:-
they failed to wake me up to see the moon landing live on black and white tv. I have never forgiven them.)
I reccomend you get out a copy of the film "The Dish."

Much more fun than the small step for mankind, far more enlightening, and seen from several wonderful perspectives, including the child.

More importantly it's an Australian film. Underated and so much better observed than hollywood.

(I hope this won't get me moved to another "off topic" naughty chair??)
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Thanks DH for reminding we did not win at Whitstable something to do with an unfortunate capsize (No problem there.) but leaving the for tank hatch off I can still hear the bubbles blob blob blob!
On the actual Sunday of the landing which was mid afternoon UK time the walk Monday morning we had a radio in the boat listening, whilst winning a Dragon Regatta in Denmark.
My current significant other was much younger and a lot luckier her Father was an Aviation Doctor seconded to NASA to sort out the motion sickness problems she watched the landing in Mission Control hold Buzz Aldrins wifes hand! She still does not know how lucky the 12 year old was!
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

AG,

Not wanting to 'name drop' but a good few years back I was speaking at a Conference in Vienna. Nothing special about that, except for the 'keynote speakers' doing the main sessions the day before. Mikkail Gorbachov and, yes, Buzz Aldrin. No one could get anywhere near Gorby but Buzz was quite the opposite. An inspirational speaker.... with a message as good for competitive sailors as for Pan European businessmen. Be it in the realms of a major expansion, or in the preparation, you need so many disparate elements to all come together at one time. Of course, he used Nasa and the Kennedy 'commitment' as his example.

Now if you'd had all that insight before, maybe the hatch cover WOULD have been in place - but then I'd have nothing to discuss with Barry Dunning shortly
(why talk to Barry Dunning??? watch out for a major news flash later on the site)

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I would concur about Buzz Aldrin I was lucky enough to meet him at a Dinner of the RAeS in London a few years back, as he said the sort of thing that marks you out no matter what!
re the Bow Tank Hatch my crew of that year - untill Whitstable - is this day adamant that he put the hatch in! Well it wasn't there when needed!
Simples.