WANTED : Boat to hire for Poirot!

General chat about boats
Michael Brigg

Re: WANTED : Boat to hire for Poirot!

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nigel Said
AG playing Captain Hastings in his Bentley :shock:
Quite right he's expressing shock. I though AG's was a Roller!
Michael Brigg
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

If a modern built traditional boat is suitable how about something by the Barrow Boat Company, such as their 12 ft Swallow?

http://www.barrowboats.co.uk/barrowboat/swallow12.html

OK, she is a touch smaller than 14 to 16 ft suggested, but is described as having a capacity for 4 adults and to my way of thinking looks the part of a 20s dinghy. I could just imagine Roger (Walker of the S & A, not commodore) leaping ashore with the painter. :lol:
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Michael Brigg wrote:Quite right he's expressing shock. I though AG's was a Roller!
Hi Michael,

I think AG's is a Bentley (or Volkswagen if you prefer). Hastings' though was something else, at least on the TV. Maybe a Fraser Nash?

To misquote a popular war movie: Very pretty! But can it float? Bonus points will be awarded for the film and the actor.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

A point of order, We have three motor vehicles all owned in manufacture by VW yes a Bently but A GT Speed hardly a gentlemans conveyance, but not a racing bentley circa 1930! A Tuareg for towing the Dragon and a VW Golf for being sensible! Cars for films are easy enough but I do know where there is a one owner mint condition SS 100 in bronze owned from new by a now sadly dead Merlin Rocket Sailor.

I have given Naomi a list of possible hirers of suitable 14-16 period dinghies that would be no problem with continuity.
Blagdon of Plymouth 01752 561830
Wyche Marine Dell Quay 01243 782768
Turks (Mike Turk is Barge Master/Swann Upper and does film work, (My first wife and I were rowed away from our reception at Fishmongers Hall in his Schallop by 8 watermen, and who who was around in the Ranelagh to Thames group in the early sixties will forget the Winter Dances one every three weeks firstly at TURKS BOATHOUSE at Kingston then The Thames Ditton Skiff and Punt Club and them Molesey Boat Club in rotation.
01634 400110
Aldburgh Boatyard
Peter Wilson
01728 453523
5 Norfolk BRoads Yachting Co.
Mike Barnes
[email protected]
6 Eastwood Whelpton
Anne Whelpton
01493 750430
Possibly Freebody's or Wootons or any of the Thames or Cornish / Devon yards that still do things the old way either because they wish to or/and their customers want them to may have a suitable boat and also a cotton sailed hemp roped wooden masted rig.
She's not left herself a lot of time and if anyone can really help it would be oh so good.
Simples.
NaomiTV

Post by NaomiTV »

moggy wrote:fancy a 1949 GP14?

I'm a bit far away in north wales tho!

but it would be a good excuse to get it out of the garage!!!
Thanks Moggy - I am very familiar with GPs - my dad has one he's restoring and I join him for the annual GP cruising week every now and then...now that would be a good reason to get it out of the garage, it's usually a fantastic few days, and it's in North Wales this year, can give you details if you like?
NaomiTV

Post by NaomiTV »

Just an additional note - a lot of these boats are ideal and I'll make some enquiries and show them to the designer later...but as much as possible I'm hoping to stick to the South / South West, due to the amount of travel involved.

Thanks for all the help though - keep the suggestions coming!!
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
what not just go to this event, http://www.tradboatrally.com/ loads of traditional boats in action on the thames, you should be able to find something suitable on the day
Steve :D
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
NaomiTV

Post by NaomiTV »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip off, I may go there anyway, but we need the boat before then!

Naomi
roger

Post by roger »

Naomi, A thought has just occured to me. There are two types of boat regularly sailed out of Lymington that would suit your needs. The Lymington Pram and the Oxybird. Both are traditional style boats and may be just the job. Try contacting either Lymington Town Sailing club or Royal Lymington Yacht Club.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
moggy

Post by moggy »

[quote="NaomiTV

Thanks Moggy - I am very familiar with GPs - my dad has one he's restoring and I join him for the annual GP cruising week every now and then...now that would be a good reason to get it out of the garage, it's usually a fantastic few days, and it's in North Wales this year, can give you details if you like?[/quote]

no need thanks

7 and my series 2 will be there for our summer break! shoudl be fun as I've lived here for all my life (29 years) and never sailed from Anglesey!
GP14 - 7
GP14 -ex 23
GP14 - 13796

Enterprise - 20059
Steve

Post by Steve »

clibb wrote:An International 12 would be perfect, though a little shorter than really required. Checkout http://www.12footdinghy.org I'm sure someone would lend you one.

Nick
There is a very original International 12 (circa 1936) at West Kirby Sailing Club. Its not been sailed for a few years but I believe that it is still navigable. Although a bit shorter than required it is quite a roomy boat for its length!

Steve
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk