WANTED : Boat to hire for Poirot!

General chat about boats
NaomiTV

WANTED : Boat to hire for Poirot!

Post by NaomiTV »

Hello!

I am working on the new series of 'Poirot' for ITV and we are trying to find a boat to have a starring role in our next episode. We would ideally like to hire a 'Swallows & Amazons" style open dinghy, preferably clinker, about 14' - 16' long...obviously it needs to have original fittings, wooden mast etc...

We would need it to be in London for a day's filming in a studio on the 29th June, where we will film the real actors 'sailing,' then to be filmed in the water (with lookalike actors), near Brixham, in Devon, at the end of July (dates TBC).

Obviously the owner would be welcome to accompany the boat, or if not we can sort out all of the transport arrangements etc.

If anyone can help or suggest where to try, I would be most grateful! I have contacted local yacht clubs & marinas but this seemed like an ideal place to continue the search!

Many thanks,

Naomi Moore
Michael Brigg

Re: WANTED : Boat to hire for Poirot!

Post by Michael Brigg »

Surely has to be a job for ISKA?

I have a 14ft clinker from the Poirot era but she would need a bit (Actually rather a lot) of work done to get her into condition. She has all the original bits on as well but I fear would be a little too scruffy for your needs.

If not I'm sure you might find an interest in your offer from a Norfolk OD (Has a nice period look as it has a Sliding gaff rig)
N14od.jpg
(12.7 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
or if you're down Brixham way, a Redwing from Looe would be almost perfect, but it does have rather a modern rig.
Michael Brigg
NaomiTV

Post by NaomiTV »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply...
Scruffy isn't necessarily a problem, do you have photos?

My email is naomi.louise.moore@gmail.com if that's easier.

Naomi
NaomiTV

Post by NaomiTV »

PS : What is the ISKA?
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

ISKA is a beautifully restored Merlin Rocket (No 6)

It would perhaps be proper if I let her owner decide if he wants talk to you about her before I make any further comment

My own boat really is a bit scruffy but is @ 1928 vintage. She's not on the water at the moment and would need a lick of varnish to make her usable, but this would be a useful "temporary preservation" arrangement assuming I was going to mothball her for a while after the event.

This is how she is at the moment...
BlueMoonRemovesuperstructure1630-12.jpg
(85.33 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
BlueMoonRemovesuperstructure1630-14.jpg
(87.81 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
I wont be insulted if you turn her down! :( :(

If you look in the forum section on "Boat restoration" you will find out more in my posting:-"My 14foot clinker, Blue Moon."
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/gallery/v ... d_3260.jpg

Iska is a 14ft Merlin Rocket built 1946 and is sailed with cotton sails and wooden mast - probably the most original boat in it's class for its age. It's no 6 in the photograph
chris

Post by chris »

This is Iska,
Being 1946 she mare be too young, But I think the problem would be that she is not 'open' and therefore the cockpit is very small - just enough room for two - aracing dinghy rather than Swallows and Amazons ( but I think a similiar merlin to Iska was used in the original S & W film)
It would not be very good for the boat to have actors in it on dry land ads they would probably put their foot through it. Otherwise I could talk about this.
Chris
Photos by Karen Collyer (hope you don't mind!)
Attachments
Whitefriars10.jpg
(109.97 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Whitefriars13.jpg
(81.56 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Incidentally I have about 10minutes of 12mm cine film footage from a family holiday on the river Dart (converted onto VHS Video and subsequently on a CD). It is mostly from a boat trip from the Dartmouth to view the Int 14 POW championship which took place in Brixham in 1938.
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

An alternative to look at would be the Tideways.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
NaomiTV

Post by NaomiTV »

Thanks to you all for the help so far...

Michael - will keep Blue Moon in mind, but try and find something that needs a little less work first...

Chris / Garry - Iska is beautiful but would ideally like something a bit more open to allow a bit more movement...plus could prove costly for our insurance company if an actor puts their foot through it!

Roger - am looking at Tideways now...looks like they weren't around 'til the mid 50s unfortunately...
clibb

Post by clibb »

An International 12 would be perfect, though a little shorter than really required. Checkout http://www.12footdinghy.org I'm sure someone would lend you one.

Nick
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Naomi,

who is going to sail her? I could wax my moustache & pop down to Brixham if it helps.

You may have more luck with something modern but retro styled, particularly if you want to have actors standing in it in the studio whilst the crew rock it from side to side and make seagull noises. An old boat will not like that sort of treatment.

Have a look at http://www.kittiwake boats.co.uk

Nigel
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nigel, I think you've just designed your forum Avatar ~ :lol: ~

btw did you mean:-

http://www.kittiwakeboats.co.uk/ ?

Very nice. Right on the money as a gentlemans dayboat.
Michael Brigg
moggy

Post by moggy »

fancy a 1949 GP14?

I'm a bit far away in north wales tho!

but it would be a good excuse to get it out of the garage!!!
GP14 - 7
GP14 -ex 23
GP14 - 13796

Enterprise - 20059
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Michael Brigg wrote:Nigel, I think you've just designed your forum Avatar ~ ~

btw did you mean:-

http://www.kittiwakeboats.co.uk/ ?
Hi Michael,

yes. that is the one without the space in it :) .

Not convinced by the avatar though. It might be better used by Hercule Whelan with AG playing Captain Hastings in his Bentley :shock: