Shearwater escapades

General chat about boats
chris

Post by chris »

Just finished putting stuff away after our shearwater weekend - don't ever say we don't have wind again!!!!
Great fun week end - thanks to all involved: helpers, visitors and member.
Will write up a bit more later .

But...

Kit failure included broken centre on Charles' Solo (Good to see a 'new' (familiar) face.

A tiller which broke twice and was getting shortened each time rather seriously. (John, it's not meant for sitting on!)

and a mast which broke and now has a watery grave at the bottom of shearwater (Yes I know it was only the committee boat's !!!!! - perhaps that was eligible for cvrda status as well.)

Plenty of swimming going on including a few - whoops missed the toe-strap excuses ( Roger, Sally et al.), Steve, Sandy, colin and xxxx. all tested their bouyancy , twice in a couple of cases.

Good to see Mark and Karen's wedding present to themselves - a secondhand boat trailer - just what they had been looking for (ok the old nat 12 that came free with it is raaaaather nice too!)

Great weekend thanks to all that came for making it such fun
Chris
Pat

Post by Pat »

Hear hear! Great fun. Roger falling out the back of the jeep ws a sight not to be missed!!

The Merlin twice came up like a submarine - completely under water apart from foredeck and mast and totaly un-manoevreable! We sat there with visions of Chris's pride and joy going down beneath us!!

Someone reported 40knot gusts on the start box anemometer so well done to John and Lyn and to Rupert too I think and any others who managed to complete all races and survive the weekend without a capsize.

Looking forward to Frensham.

Pat
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Were there any photos or are you using photoshop to arbitrarily rotate the images so that they all look as if the boats are being sailed flat!!!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

HiPat Why not come along to Mayflower for some salt water sailing you know it makes sense as it kills off all the green pond slime. Seriously everybody would be most welcome at MSC for Sheltered Sea sailing inside the breakwater. This year we will be using a line start,from are start ing box so courses set will not be half way across the Sound. Anyone wishing to attended can contact me at alanbow@yahoo.co.uk for futher details. We would love to see you all and we don't send old boats out in 40 knot gust? I was sailing the Finn in Plymouth on Sunday four races no capsizes in about a 4-5 but did not see a or feel a 40knot gust maybe they were localised. Sorry could not be there as needed to be close to home because of mother situation.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I was surprised to hear 40 knots, but some of the gusts were certainly more than a 5, and especially interesting hitting the boats when sitting in a force 1/2 the moment before. I'm working on Mayflower at the moment, but it might depend on how the Firefly southwesterns go at the bank holiday!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert you would be very welcome. Would you be sailing the fireflie or the Toy if you attend? Does anyone have a handicap for Flipper Scows as a pair of them may be turning up? Did anyone from the CVRDA buy the Tempo Scow on Ebay recently I wanted to but the Boss said NO. Usual lame excuse to spoil boys fun you've got to many boats already.

Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The idea will be to bring the Firefly, as I hope the ToY will be in for a rebuild by then, and we need to learn to sea sail Saskia.
Flipper Scow handicap 93 in 1970.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Alan I have put your poster up in the club house for Mayflower and if you send me an electronic version I will post it with the fastsail crowd. I am hoping to be at mayflower with the Hornet.
The gust in the last lap of the 2nd race on sunday was certainly very strong. We were lucky that we had just started the reach and had a fantastic plane gybed and planed back across the lake. I think because the lake is narrow with steep sides the wind gets concentrated as it comes through the narrows.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

H Roger can you let me have your e-mail address. Mines in the Events Forum under MSC meeting. Only to pleased to send details to you.
Cheers Al.
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Just wanted to add my thanks to the others for the Shearwater event. Carol and I always enjoy being there. Must say, however, that the weather/wind made this a challenging event. 7 laps per race with 4 gybes per lap is not Finn friendly in those conditions. I think I'll have to find a more Shearwater appropriate boat.

Don't forget. Frensham comes up in a few weeks, 16/17th July, and the newly dredged lake is deep-board friendly. And we've arranged for the water to come right up to the shore. No excuses for not being there.

Nick